Holidays in the Philippines and Long Weekends Guide
Published: October 28, 2020 | Updated: March 12, 2021 | Posted by: Moneymax | Personal Finance
Any employee is looking forward to two things—paydays and holidays. Well, who doesn’t? Holidays in the Philippines allow people to spend some quality time with their loved ones, and that much-needed me-time before getting back to the daily grind.
Start planning your vacations by keeping tab of Philippines holidays in 2021. Here’s a quick guide to PH holidays and long weekends that can help you plan your vacations wisely.
Table of Contents
- List of Official Holidays in the Philippines 2021
- Long Weekends in 2021
- When to Schedule Your Vacation Leaves for 2021
- Vacation Planning Ideas for Long Weekends
- Final Thoughts
List of Official Holidays in the Philippines 2021
There are 247 working days and 19 holidays in the Philippines in 2021. According to research done by Gulf Business, the Philippines is one of the countries with the most public holidays in the world. India tops the list followed by Columbia and the Philippines.
Holidays in the Philippines are also grouped into two—regular and special non-working holidays. Regular holidays typically have a fixed date, like New Year’s Day, Labor Day, and Christmas Day. On the other hand, special non-working holidays are more flexible. They are typically enacted by Congress or declared by the President. However, recently, the Philippine government proclaimed three special (working) holidays with a goal to minimize work disruption and boost economic activity while we are still dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic.
List of Regular Holidays in the Philippines 2021
- January 1, 2021 – Friday (New Year’s Day)
- April 1, 2021 – Thursday (Maundy Thursday)
- April 2, 2021 – Friday (Good Friday)
- April 9, 2021 – Friday (Araw ng Kagitingan)
- May 1, 2021 – Saturday (Labor Day)
- June 12, 2021 – Saturday (Independence Day)
- August 30, 2021 – Monday (National Heroes’ Day)
- November 30, 2021 – Tuesday (Bonifacio Day)
- December 25, 2021 – Saturday (Christmas Day)
- December 30, 2021 – Thursday (Rizal Day)
List of Special Non-Working Holidays in the Philippines 2021
- February 12, 2021 – Friday (Chinese New Year)
- February 25, 2021 – Thursday (EDSA People Power Revolution Anniversary)
- April 3, 2021 – Saturday (Black Saturday)
- August 21, 2021 – Saturday (Ninoy Aquino Day)
- November 1, 2021 – Monday (All Saints’ Day)
- December 8, 2021 – Wednesday (Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary)
List of Special Working Holidays in the Philippines 2021
- November 2, 2021 – Tuesday (All Souls’ Day)
- December 24, 2021 – Friday (Christmas Eve)
- December 31, 2021 – Friday (last day of the year)
The President will issue a separate holiday declaration for Eid’l Fitr, the end of Ramadan, and for Eid’al Adha, the Feast of the Sacrifice. The declaration is typically announced after the dates for these Islamic holidays are determined according to the Islamic calendar. The National Commission on Muslim Filipinos informs the Office of the President of the dates for these Islamic holidays.
Long Weekends in 2021
You can maximize your public holidays if you know how to plan right. Take note of these long weekends to get most out of your vacation time:
- New Year Weekend – January 1 to 3 (three days)
- Chinese New Year Weekend – February 12 to 14 (three days)
- Holy Week – April 1 to 4 (four days)
- National Heroes’ Day Weekend – August 28 to 30 (three days)
- All Saint’s Day Weekend – October 30 to November 1 (three days)
- Christmas Weekend – December 24 to 26 (three days)
- End of the Year Weekend – December 31 to January 2, 2022 (three days)
When to Schedule Your Vacation Leaves for 2021
If these long weekends are not enough for you, you can extend it further. This is where being strategic in filing your hard-earned vacation leaves or VL comes into play.
Some 2021 holidays fall on a Tuesday or Thursday, so it’s best to file your leave on these sandwiched holidays. For example, the EDSA People Power Revolution Anniversary falls on a Thursday. You can file for VL the day after it (Friday) to get a four-day long weekend.
If you have more than 10 paid VLs annually, don’t let them go to waste. Use them and take some time to recharge and relax. File for VL on August 31 (Tuesday) after National Heroes Day to get another four-day long weekend.
Cheat Sheet to Schedule Your Leaves for 2021
|2021 Philippine Holidays||When to File a Leave||Resulting Long Weekend|
|January 1, 2021 – Friday (New Year's Day)||January 4 (Monday)||January 1 to 4 (four days)|
|February 12, 2021 – Friday (Chinese New Year)||February 15 (Monday)||February 12 to 15 (four days)|
|February 25, 2021 – Thursday (EDSA People Power Revolution Anniversary)||February 26 (Friday)||February 25 to 28 (four days)|
|April 1, 2021 – Thursday (Maundy Thursday), April 2, 2021 – Friday (Good Friday), and April 3, 2021 (Black Saturday)||April 5 (Monday)||April 1 to 5 (five days)|
|April 9, 2021 – Friday (Araw ng Kagitingan)||April 12 (Monday)||April 9 to 12 (four days)|
|August 30, 2021 – Monday (National Heroes' Day)||August 31 (Tuesday)||August 28 to 31 (four days)|
|November 30, 2021 – Tuesday (Bonifacio Day)||November 29 (Monday)||November 27 to 30 (four days)|
|December 8, 2021 – Wednesday (Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary)||December 9 and 10 (Thursday and Friday)||December 8 to 12 (five days)|
|December 24, 2021 – Friday (Christmas Eve)||December 23 (Thursday)||December 23 to 26 (four days)|
|December 30, 2021 – Thursday (Rizal Day) and December 31, 2021 – Friday (last day of the year)||December 29 (Thursday)||December 29 to January 2, 2022 (five days)|
Vacation Planning Ideas for Long Weekends
Done plotting your VLs? Great! Here are some quick ideas you may consider as you start planning your vacations around holidays in the Philippines for 2021.
New Year Weekend
It’s too late to plan for a vacation for the last few days of 2020, especially now that traveling is still strict. Instead, you can go on a road trip around places near Metro Manila such as Batangas, Laguna, Bulacan, or Tagaytay.
Chinese New Year Weekend
You have plenty of choices in celebrating this major Chinese holiday like having a food trip in Binondo. Or simply feast on traditional Chinese dishes (tikoy, pancit, lumpia, dumplings, and round fruits) with your family at home.
All Saint’s Day Weekend
Apart from visiting your late loved ones on All Saint’s Day, why not spend the weekend reliving your fondest memories with them? Go to you and your beloved’s favorite places. Perhaps, do activities that you both enjoyed.
You have around five to 12 days to spend outside work, so maximize your holiday break! Plan your reunion and travel schedules for December carefully, so you won’t spread yourself too thin and get haggard when you get back to work after your vacation.
End of the Year Weekend
Why not end the year with a bang? Tick off your 2021 New Year’s Resolution before 2022 starts—it’s never too late! However, if the Christmas holidays have already left you tired, why not spend a few days recharging before another year of more adventures and surprises?
- Here’s How to Compute Your Holiday Pay
- 5 Unique and Family-Friendly Vacation Ideas for the Holiday
- Holiday Money Mistakes You Should Avoid
Now that you have an idea of upcoming holidays and long weekends in the Philippines, start plotting your trips and vacations. In doing so, you can give your bosses an early heads-up and file your vacation leaves strategically. It also allows you to schedule your activities properly and be on the lookout for discounts on flight, hotel, and tour bookings. It was a challenging year so better make the most out of it!
-  Working Days in Philippines in 2021 (Excelnotes)
-  Revealed: Countries With The Most Number Of Public Holidays (Nagraj, Gulf Business, 2015)
-  National Commission on Muslim Filipinos Mandate
With a goal to help Filipinos lead healthier financial lives, Moneymax regularly publishes tips and tricks on personal finance and lifestyle, among many other topics. For more finance-related news and articles, follow Moneymax on Linkedin.