ShopeePay Guide for First-Time Users
Published: September 4, 2020 | Updated: February 10, 2021 | Posted by: Ricky Publico | Personal Finance
The concept of shopping at Shopee is already convenient as it is. You order from an online store, you pay, and they deliver it to you. Easy! However, we’re in the new normal where contactless payments are encouraged. Shopee’s answer to that? More convenience, thanks to ShopeePay.
Shopee’s new mobile wallet adds to the extensive list of convenient payment options in the Philippines. Aside from encouraging minimal contact, it’s also a convenient way to pay for your Shopee purchases. Find out more about how to use the mobile wallet in this guide.
What is ShopeePay?
ShopeePay is Shopee’s mobile wallet regulated by the Banko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP). It’s the rebranded version of their initial attempt at entering the mobile wallet market, only with more useful features for shoppers and sellers alike.
What Can I Do with It?
If you’re an avid Shopee shopper, ShopeePay is definitely a must-have. Here are just some of the things you can do with your newly-minted mobile wallet.
- Convenient shopping. As a way to encourage contactless payments, the mobile wallet aims to provide a more seamless shopping experience to online shoppers.
- Online security features. You can set up a passcode to lock your wallet or use your fingerprint to access and verify your purchases.
- Withdraw money. By linking your bank account, you can use ShopeePay to withdraw money from your mobile wallet. Only a handful of mobile wallets have this feature.
- Transfer money to other ShopeePay wallets. Unlike Lazada Wallet, you can transfer money to other ShopeePay wallets in just a few taps.
- Access exclusive promos and vouchers. From big discounts to free shipping vouchers, using ShopeePay for your online shopping fee will surely pay off in the long run.
ShopeePay vs. Shopee Wallet
The main difference between ShopeePay and Shopee Wallet is the ability to top up on the former. Basically, it is an upgraded version of Shopee Wallet, packed with features that makes ShopeePay a full-fledged mobile wallet that can rival existing mobile wallets in the Philippines.
Now that Shopee Wallet is phased out, all refunds and seller proceeds will be credited to ShopeePay. It has a separate Seller Balance section where sellers can track and manage their proceeds.
Read more: Make Money Online: How to be a Shopee or Lazada Online Seller
ShopeePay Transaction Limits
The mobile wallet also has specific transaction limits you need to remember.
- Monthly Inflow pertains to the amount that goes into your account via top up or refund within a calendar month.
- Balance pertains to the amount of money in your ShopeePay account at any given time.
- Daily Purchase pertains to the total pay-by-wallet transactions within a calendar day.
How to Activate ShopeePay
- From the Shopee dashboard, tap Me on the bottom right corner.
- Tap ShopeePay and tap Set Up ShopeePay on the next screen.
- Enter your full name, tick the Terms and Conditions box, and tap next.
- Create a six-digit passcode and tap Done.
- Confirm if you want to use your fingerprint to access.
- Once you’re done, you’ll be directed to the ShopeePay dashboard.
How to Verify Your ShopeePay Account
Verifying your account is optional. You can top up your account and use it to pay for your purchases as is. But if you want to access other features like cash transfer and withdrawal, follow these steps.
- From the ShopeePay dashboard, tap Settings on the upper right corner.
- Tap ID Verification in the next screen.
- Enter all the necessary information and attach a photo of a valid ID and a photo of you holding a valid ID.
- Tick the Terms and Conditions box before submitting your requirements.
- Wait for at least two business days for Shopee to confirm your account.
How to Top Up Your ShopeePay
Now it’s time to fund your next online shopping purchase. There are various ways to top up your Shopee account, all of which are rather easy to follow.
- From the ShopeePay dashboard, tap Top Up.
- Choose an amount or enter the exact amount you want to top up.
- Tap the Payment right below the Input Amount section.
- Choose a payment option and tap Confirm.
- Tap Pay Now to receive further instructions.
- After paying the top up amount, check your new balance.
- GCash – minimum of PHP 50
- Coins.ph – minimum of PHP 50
Online Banking Options
- BPI ExpressOnline/Mobile – PHP 25 additional charge
- BDO Internet Banking – minimum top up of PHP 100, accessible between 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Unionbank Online
- RCBC AccessOne – PHP 5 additional charge
- Metrobank Direct – accessible between 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Landbank ATM Online – PHP 10 additional charge, accessible between 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- PNB Online – accessible between 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Robinson’s Bank Online – accessible between 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- UCPB Connect – accessible between 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Chinabank Online – accessible between 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Payment Center Options
- Bayad Center – open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 7-Eleven Cliqq – open daily
- M Lhuillier – open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with additional charges
- Cebuana Lhuillier – open daily, business hours may vary
- Palawan Pawnshop – open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (maximum of PHP 20,000)
- RD Pawnshop – open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (maximum of PHP 20,000)
- SM Bills Payment – open daily from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Robinson’s Department Store – open daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- ECPay Kiosks – open daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- LBC Bills Payment – open daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (except outlets inside malls)
Over-the-Counter (OTC) Options
- BDO OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with PHP 25 charge
- BPI OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with PHP 100 charge
- Metrobank OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. with PHP 50 charge
- Chinabank OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- PNB OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- RCBC OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Unionbank OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- AUB OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Robinson’s Bank OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Landbank OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. with PHP 50 charge
- Security Bank OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with PHP 50 charge
- UCPB OTC – open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with PHP 25 charge
Note: Schedules may differ due to the government-implemented community quarantine. This information serves as a reference only.
How to Pay Using ShopeePay
Once your account is all juiced up, it’s time to shop! Don’t forget to set ShopeePay as your default payment method for a more seamless shopping experience.
- From the Checkout screen, tap Payment Option.
- Choose ShopeePay as your preferred payment method and tap Confirm.
- Once you place your order, the amount will be deducted from your current balance.
How to Transfer Money with ShopeePay
If you have verified your account, you can now transfer money to other ShopeePay users. Here’s how to do it.
- From the ShopeePay dashboard, tap Transfer.
- You can either use the recipient’s registered phone number or Shopee username.
- Enter the phone number or username and enter the amount to transfer.
- Enter your ShopeePay PIN to verify the transfer.
- Check your new balance.
How to Withdraw Money with ShopeePay
You can also withdraw money from your verified account. You need to link a bank account first before you can use this feature. Here’s how you can do so.
- From the ShopeePay dashboard, tap Withdrawal.
- A prompt will tell you that you need to link a bank account. Tap Add.
- Tap Add a Bank Account on the next screen.
- Enter the bank account’s full name, account number, and bank name before tapping Next.
- Confirm your banking details and tap Done.
- Enter your PIN to confirm your bank account.
- Once you’re done, you’ll be sent back to the dashboard.
- From there, tap Withdrawal once again.
- Select your linked bank account, enter the amount, and tap Next.
- Check the transaction details before tapping Confirm.
- Enter your PIN to confirm the withdrawal.
- Wait for two to three days for your withdrawal to reflect on your bank account.
The cashless revolution in the Philippines continues with the introduction of ShopeePay. Mobile wallets will continue to be the new trend, so you better get used to the idea. After all, if something can improve your shopping experience by a lot, isn’t it worth trying?
Ricky is the zaniest Senior Content Writer at Moneymax, with over five years of writing experience in the digital marketing industry. He is a huge fan of pro wrestling, smartphones, and binge-watching. Follow Ricky on LinkedIn.