Are you a loyal customer of a particular brand? Using a co-branded credit card will help you save money and maximize rewards on your purchases.
To fully appreciate the value of co-branded credit cards and use them to your advantage, it’s important to understand how they work. Here’s what you need to know about co-branded credit cards in the Philippines.
What are Co-branded Credit Cards?
Co-branded credit cards offer brand-specific benefits to loyal customers of a retail brand or members of an organization. Banks in the Philippines issue these cards in partnership with malls, airlines, oil companies, car dealerships, restaurant chains, clothing retailers, universities, alumni associations, and charities.
Typically, co-branded cards bear the logos of the credit card network (Mastercard, Visa, American Express, etc.) and the partner brand. Some cards also carry the issuing bank’s logo.
How do Co-branded Credit Cards Work?
Co-branded cards work just like any regular credit card. Even if a card is jointly issued with a particular merchant, you can use it at any retailer that accepts cards from the bank or credit card network.
What makes co-branded credit cards different from other cards is that on top of standard benefits, they also offer exclusive perks such as rewards points, discounts, and rebates from the partner merchant. To enjoy these extra privileges, you have to buy from the partner merchant using the co-branded card.
In short, co-branded credit cards reward you for your loyalty to the issuing bank’s partner brand.
Co-branded cards that are tied up with charities and universities allow you to support their projects and programs by automatically donating half of the annual fee and a percentage of your credit card spending.
What are the Benefits of a Co-branded Credit Card?
Here are the exclusive perks that co-branded credit cardholders typically enjoy:
- Greater rewards. Most co-branded credit cards in the Philippines provide double or triple rewards points for every purchase from the participating partner retailer. Compared to rewards programs of regular credit cards, it’s easier to earn and accumulate points with co-branded cards.
- Higher rebates. Co-branded credit cards also allow you to earn cashback rates of up to 10% on qualified transactions with partner retailers. Rebates of co-branded cards are higher than those of regular cashback credit cards that range from 0.20% to 6%.
- Discounts. You can earn a year-round or daily discount for eligible purchases with a co-branded credit card. A few co-branded cards even offer discounts when you use your credit card on your birthday.
- Freebies. Loyal customers also enjoy free welcome gifts, products, merchandise, flights, travel insurance, or purchase protection insurance.
- Annual fee waivers. Some co-branded credit cards have waived annual fees for life. Others provide such waiver when a cardholder meets the minimum purchase requirement at partner outlets.
- Priority access to sale events. When a partner mall or retailer holds a sale, co-branded cardholders get to enter the shop first and can line up at the priority lanes at the payment counters.
Should You Sign Up For a Co-branded Credit Card?
Co-branded credit cards are useful, cost-effective financial tools for consumers who are loyal to a particular brand. Despite the benefits they offer, these cards are not for everyone. A wrong credit card may cost you more money rather than maximize its benefits in the long run.
How do you know if having a co-branded card is right for you? Assess your needs and spending habits. Identify the category you spend the most. Do you often book flights, shop for clothes, dine in restaurants, or fill your gas tank?
Also, figure out your preferred brand. What’s your favorite mall, airline, restaurant, or gas station where you’ll use your card most often?
If your answers to these questions are all clear, you’ll fully reap the benefits of a co-branded credit card.
What are the Available Co-branded Credit Cards in the Philippines?
Once you’ve decided to get a co-branded card, you can start exploring your options. Here’s a list of co-branded credit cards in the Philippines:
- BDO Bench Mastercard
- Cathay Pacific American Express Credit Card
- Cathay Pacific American Express Elite Credit Card
- BDO Forever 21 Mastercard
- BDO LausAutoGroup Mastercard
- BPI-Ayala Malls Amore Visa
- BPI-Ayala Malls Amore Visa Platinum
- BPI SkyMiles Mastercard
- BPI SkyMiles Platinum Mastercard
- Petron-BPI Mastercard
- Mercury Drug Citi Card
- Shell Citi Card
- EastWest DLSAA MasterCard
- Hyundai MasterCard
- Maybank – Manchester United Visa
- Metrobank Femme-ICanServe Visa
- Robinsons Mastercard
- The Bistro Group Visa
- Toyota Mastercard
- PNB-PAL Mabuhay Miles NOW Mastercard
- PNB-PAL Mabuhay Miles Platinum Mastercard
- PNB-AAAIM Platinum Mastercard
- PNB-AAXS Platinum Mastercard
- PNB-AdZU Platinum Mastercard
- PNB-Alturas Visa
- PNB-DLSZAA Platinum Mastercard
- PNB-ICAAA Platinum Mastercard
- PNB-Jewelmer Joaillerie Platinum Mastercard
- PNB-The Travel Club Platinum Mastercard
- PNB-PAL Mabuhay Miles World Mastercard
- Fully Booked-RCBC Bankard Mastercard
- HBC-RCBC Bankard Mastercard
- Landmark Anson’s-RCBC Bankard Mastercard
- LJC-RCBC Bankard Mastercard
- Mango-RCBC Bankard Mastercard
- Phoenix RCBC Bankard Mastercard
- Sta. Lucia Mall-RCBC Bankard Mastercard
- Wilcon-RCBC Bankard Mastercard
- Cebu Pacific GetGo Platinum Credit Card
- Cebu Pacific GetGo Credit Card
- Couples for Christ Foundation for Family and Life Visa
- Haribon Foundation Visa
- The Philippine Red Cross Visa
- World Wide Fund Visa
- Mapfre Insular Visa
- Suy Sing Visa
- Burgoo Visa
- Home Depot Visa
- Insular Life Visa
- Racks Visa
- Riviera Golf Club Visa
- The North Face Visa
- Cebu Parklane International Hotel Visa Card
- Alpha Phi Omega Visa
- Ateneo Alumni Association Visa
- Centro Escolar University Alumni Foundation Visa
- De La Salle – College of Saint Benilde Alumni Association Visa
- Don Bosco Alumni Association Visa
- People Management Association of the Philippines Visa
- San Beda College Alumni Association Visa
- Silliman University Visa
- Southwestern University Alumni Foundation Visa
- University of the Philippines Alumni Association Visa
Choose a co-branded credit card that offers the greatest benefits for your particular spending pattern and preferred brand. However, the wide variety of choices can be overwhelming and confusing. You can use an online credit card comparison tool to trim down your options and pick the perfect co-branded card for you.