A National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance has plenty of uses in the Philippines. This simple piece of blue paper is often a requirement for job and visa applications. It’s also honored as a valid ID for postal ID application, voter’s registration, and DTI business name registration.
Regardless of what you’ll use this clearance for, you need to have yours renewed if it’s already expired or about to expire.
Read on to find out more about how you can renew your NBI Clearance the easiest way possible.
Table of Contents
- Requirements for NBI Renewal
- NBI Renewal Online Process in the Philippines
- Frequently Asked Questions About NBI Renewal
- 1. Is walk-in allowed in NBI Clearance renewal?
- 2. How much is the NBI renewal fee?
- 3. Where can I pay for the NBI renewal fee?
- 4. Can I submit a Barangay Clearance for NBI renewal?
- 5. How can I apply for NBI Clearance renewal if I lost my old copy?
- 6. The system says my NBI ID number can’t be found. What should I do?
- 7. How can OFWs renew NBI Clearance abroad?
- 8. How can foreigners in the Philippines apply for NBI renewal?
- Final Thoughts
Requirements for NBI Renewal
The requirements for renewal depends on the year the NBI clearance is issued.
If you got your latest NBI Clearance only recently (from 2014 to present), only one valid government-issued ID is required. However, you’ll have to surrender the copy of your most recently issued NBI Clearance.
The NBI website (1) lists down the following IDs as acceptable for NBI renewal:
- Birth certificate authenticated by the Philippine Statistics Authority (original copy)
- Driver’s license
- Marina Seafarer’s ID
- Pag-IBIG/HDMF ID (not the Pag-IBIG Loyalty Card)
- PhilHealth ID
- Police Clearance (issued by the police station having jurisdiction over the applicant’s residence)
- Postal ID
- PRC ID
- School ID with current registration card/form
- Seaman’s Book
- Senior Citizen’s ID
- Solo Parent ID
- TIN card
- UMID card
- Voter’s ID or Certificate of Registration issued by the COMELEC
- For security guards: Security License ID
- For foundlings and members of tribes and indigenous groups: Certification from Malacañang
Make sure to present an original copy of your valid ID in good condition. Photocopied, damaged, and/or expired IDs are not honored for NBI Clearance renewal.
Requirements for Applicants with NBI Clearance Issued Before 2014
If you got your old NBI Clearance in 2013 or earlier, the requirements you need to present are the same with first-time applicants: two valid government-issued IDs. Refer to the NBI’s list of accepted IDs above.
NBI Renewal Online Process in the Philippines
You have two options when renewing your clearance:
- The Quick Renewal service (more convenient but more expensive)
- The regular renewal process (requires your personal appearance at an NBI Clearance center but is cheaper).
Both NBI Clearance renewal processes are done online using any mobile device such as a laptop, tablet, or smartphone with an internet connection.
1. NBI Clearance Quick Renewal Service
NBI’s Quick Renewal service is the hassle-free way to get a new NBI Clearance. No need to make a personal appearance at an NBI branch. All steps—from filling out forms to paying the fee—are done online and in just one sitting. Then you’ll just have to wait for your new clearance to arrive at your doorstep.
Thus, the Quick Renewal service is ideal for busy professionals who want to save time by skipping the queues.
However, you can use this online NBI renewal service only if you got your latest clearance any time from 2014 to the present. Also, it’s not necessarily the faster method for NBI renewal. Waiting for the delivery of your new clearance may take around five to 10 days.
Here are the steps to renewing your NBI clearance through the Quick Renewal portal:
- Visit the NBI Clearance Online Services site (2).
- Under the NBI Clearance eServices section, click the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal button.
- Input your NBI ID No. (You can find it on your old NBI Clearance). Click the Verify button.
- Fill out the Quick Renewal Delivery form.
- Click the Next button.
- Indicate your birth date on the drop-down menu.
- Select a payment option (Bayad Center/MultiPay/ECPay).
- A Reminder box will appear. Read the instructions and click the Next button.
- Take note of the reference number. Click the Proceed button.
- Go to the nearest branch of your chosen payment center.
- Pay for the NBI Clearance fee using your reference number.
- Wait for the delivery of your new NBI Clearance. You’ll receive the document up to 10 days after the payment date.
2. Regular NBI Renewal Process
This traditional renewal method is the better option if your budget is limited for processing your pre-employment documents, including the NBI Clearance. Your clearance certificate may be released faster, in as early as within the same day (depending on the NBI renewal center you book an appointment with and if you have no hit).
Sometimes, the Quick Renewal service becomes temporarily unavailable (For instance, this online service is down as of January 15, 2020). When that happens and you need to renew your NBI Clearance immediately, you have no choice but to go through the regular renewal process.
Step 1: Register for an Account Online
If you’ve already registered for an NBI account online, you can skip this step and proceed with setting an appointment.
However, if you’re renewing your clearance to correct any information on your old clearance, you have to sign up again for an online account. Here are the steps:
- Visit the NBI Clearance Online Services site.
- On the Register box, tick the “No” box next to “Do you have an old NBI clearance?”
- Fill out the NBI Clearance Online Account Registration form. Once done, click the Proceed button.
- Complete the online form. Tick the box next to “I accept terms of service.” Read the Terms of Service and click the Agree button.
- Click the Sign Up button.
- On the upper right corner of the website, enter your email address and password to log in to your online account. Click the Sign In button.
- Review your information on the Application page. Once done, click the Apply for Clearance button.
- On the Confirmation box, enter the type of valid ID you’ll present for your NBI clearance application.
- Click the I Agree button.
Step 2: Set an Appointment
Set a schedule for your personal appearance at an NBI branch. Choose an NBI branch from the drop-down menu. Then choose your preferred date and time (either AM or PM option) by clicking on the corresponding button on the calendar.
Step 3: Pay for Your NBI Clearance
- Choose your preferred payment option.
- The Payment box will show a reference number and the total amount to be paid. Write down the reference number and click the Accept button.
- Go to a branch of the payment option you selected and pay for the fee using your reference number.
- To check if your payment went through, sign in to your NBI online account and click the Transactions button at the left menu. The status should show “Paid” instead of “Pending.”
Step 4: Wait for Your Application to be Processed
- Go to the NBI Clearance center on your appointment schedule. Bring two valid IDs.
- Proceed to the Biometric and Image Capture area. Present your reference number.
- Have your photo, fingerprint, and digital signature taken.
- The NBI staff will show you your information from a computer screen. Review all the details thoroughly, making sure everything is correct.
- Proceed to the Printing area. Wait for your NBI Clearance to be printed and issued to you.
Frequently Asked Questions About NBI Renewal
1. Is walk-in allowed in NBI Clearance renewal?
No. Walk-in applications, whether first-time or not, are not accommodated. Only applicants with an online appointment can proceed with their clearance processing at the NBI branch.
Everyone who needs to renew with the NBI must set an online appointment and then pay for the NBI Clearance fee first. Only after accomplishing these two steps can you go to your chosen renewal center for processing.
If you don’t have internet access, you can go to the NBI main office along Taft Ave., Ermita, Manila or any regional office with computers to register, set an appointment, and pay online for free. Afterward, you can proceed with your NBI Clearance renewal processing.
2. How much is the NBI renewal fee?
The NBI Clearance Quick Renewal fee is PHP 330 (PHP 130 processing fee + PHP 200 express delivery fee), plus a PHP 25 e-payment service fee, for a total of PHP 355. The express delivery fee may be higher depending on your delivery address.
If you’ll go through the regular NBI renewal process, the total fee is cheaper at PHP 155 (PHP 130 processing fee + PHP 25 system fee for the e-payment service).
3. Where can I pay for the NBI renewal fee?
You can pay the renewal fee over the counter at any partner bank, Bayad Center outlet, ECPay outlet, or 7-Eleven store. The quickest payment method for is through your bank’s online banking facility.
Read more: NBI Clearance Fee Payment Channels and Steps
4. Can I submit a Barangay Clearance for NBI renewal?
The NBI doesn’t accept Barangay Clearance, company ID, and other IDs that are non-government issued for NBI Clearance application and renewal. Only valid IDs issued by a government agency (SSS, PhilHealth, BIR, PRC, LTO, etc.) are required for renewal processing.
5. How can I apply for NBI Clearance renewal if I lost my old copy?
To renew your NBI Clearance online, you need to have your NBI ID Number (which you can find on the top portion of your latest clearance). This eight-digit number is one of the details you must enter into the online form to register for an account.
If you don’t have your NBI ID Number or lost your previous clearance, you can’t renew it. Instead, you’ll have to go through the NBI Clearance application process again.
6. The system says my NBI ID number can’t be found. What should I do?
You might have entered your NBI ID Number incorrectly. Type the eight-digit number again and double-check it against the number printed on your previous NBI Clearance.
If that still doesn’t work, there’s no way you can proceed with your renewal. Instead, you’ll have to register a new account, so you can file for a new application.
7. How can OFWs renew NBI Clearance abroad?
Overseas Filipinos who can’t return to the Philippines yet but need to renew their clearance can do so through the NBI’s Quick Renewal online service.
However, if an OFW’s previous clearance was issued before 2014, a new application must be filed. Here’s how to do it:
- Get an NBI Clearance application form (NBI Form No. 5) at the Philippine Embassy or Consulate General office in the host country. Fill it out, put your fingerprint, and have it certified by the Consul.
- Send your accomplished form, two latest 2 x 2 or passport-size photos, valid government-issued IDs (original and photocopy), old NBI Clearance, and authorization letter to your authorized representative in the Philippines.
- Set an appointment at the NBI Clearance Online Services site. Select the NBI main office in Ermita, Manila, which is the only renewal center that accepts applications from authorized representatives.
- Pay for the renewal fee. Either you do it yourself through your bank’s online banking service, or your representative pays for it at any accredited offline channel like Bayad Center.
- Ask your representative to send your new NBI Clearance to your overseas address via courier.
8. How can foreigners in the Philippines apply for NBI renewal?
Expats follow the same procedures as Filipinos for clearance renewal. However, there are some differences in terms of the NBI Clearance center where the renewal is processed and the requirements.
When setting an appointment at the Online Services site, choose only the main office in Manila where your renewal will be processed. Also, choose “Local” for the Purpose and “BID Requirement” (immigration requirement) for the Purpose Details.
Here are the NBI renewal requirements for foreign nationals in the Philippines:
- Old NBI Clearance (original)
- Original and photocopy of passport (from the data page up to the latest visa sticker)
- Original and photocopy of Alien Certificate of Registration or ACR I-Card (front and back)
- Printed copy of the accomplished online application form
- Official receipt (for proof of renewal fee payment)
On the appointment date, proceed to the Alien Registration Office to fill out the Alien Registration Form No. 5, have the fingerprint and signature captured, and submit the above requirements.
NBI renewal in the Philippines is now more convenient for those who need an updated copy of their NBI Clearance. The process is, of course, faster than a first-time application. We hope this guide would help you secure your new clearance without any delay or hassle.
Venus is the Head of Editorial Content at Moneymax, with 15+ years of experience in digital marketing, corporate communications, PR, and journalism. She invests in stocks, mutual funds, VUL, and Pag-IBIG MP2. Outside of work, she’s crazy about cats and Korean dramas. Follow Venus on LinkedIn.