Tired of Samsung or Apple? Check Out These Smartphone Brands
By: Ricky Publico
Published on: November 29, 2019 . Last updated: July 3, 2020 Category: Gadget Protect
Getting tired of the same smartphones from Samsung and Apple year after year? You’re not alone. These two smartphone juggernauts have been the standard in the Philippines for far too long. Whether it’s because of their skyrocketing prices or their uninspired designs and gimmicks, there are plenty of reasons to try other smartphones out there.
And wouldn’t you know it, there are other Android phone brands in the Philippines that are worth your attention. If you’re looking to switch from iOS to Android or you’re finding your Samsung phone a bit bland, here are the best Android phones to choose from.
Table of Contents
Android Phone Brands You Should Check Out
While Samsung is still the top smartphone brand in the world, you’d think Apple is a close second. Nope, the second-biggest smartphone brand worldwide according to market share is actually Huawei. It sold 206 million phones last year and 117 million in the first half of 2019 (1). To get a strong following like that, that must mean Huawei’s doing something good.
And that something is their Leica cameras, earning them a reputation as a leading brand for mobile photography. Their flagship devices are capable of shooting good low-light photos, something other smartphones are struggling to do. Their phones also have AI-optimization that keeps the performance smooth for long periods of time.
Huawei Phones to Check Out
- Huawei P30 and P30 Pro: Touting ultrazoom cameras and blazing-fast performance, Huawei’s pair of flagship smartphones are definitely hard to ignore. Compared to other flagships, these are far more affordable, starting at PHP 29,990.
- Huawei Nova 5T: Combining high-end specs with the affordable price of a mid-range phone, the Nova 5T is one of the best bang-for-the-buck Android phones in the Philippines at an already reduced price of PHP 17,990.
- Huawei Y9 Prime 2019: If you’re looking for an affordable Android phone, consider this offering from Huawei. The Y9 Prime packs a punch in terms of performance and battery life. It also has a popup camera and starts at PHP 10,990.
Once renowned as “The Flagship Killer,” OnePlus is known for offering premium Android smartphones for almost half the retail price. While they’re not part of the top Android phone brands list, OnePlus is still revered by experts as the best brand for power users and gamers. OnePlus excels at producing smartphones with great performance and premium build.
Their main selling point will always be their competitive pricing. While they don’t give out low prices as they did back when they entered the market in 2013, OnePlus’ current flagships are still priced modestly. Their grassroots marketing allowed them to garner loyal consumers looking for long-term Android phones that will last them two years or more.
OnePlus Phones to Check Out
- OnePlus 7T and 7T Pro: The latest additions to OnePlus have already garnered rave reviews from renowned tech blogs worldwide (2). Great display, powerful performance, and better cameras come with a price tag that starts at PHP 32,990.
- OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro: The flagships that came before the 7T and the 7T Pro are still as powerful as ever. The 7 Pro, in particular, turned some heads earlier this year for its ultra-smooth display. Pricing starts at PHP 38,990.
Read more: 8 Mobile Device Protection Tips
Xiaomi is also a top brand for smartphone in the Philippines, thanks to them offering the most affordable lineup of Android phones in the Philippines. You can’t call their phones cheap, either, because Xiaomi phones are among the fast-performing phones in the market. Gamers should definitely look at these phones because Xiaomi didn’t spare any expense in providing powerful chipsets.
Aside from their affordable price tags, Xiaomi phones also excel in the photography department with their megapixel-heavy cameras. Packed with AI technology, Xiaomi phones can maintain their performance for years to come. And since most of their phones are equipped with large batteries, you won’t need to worry about your phone dying on you during the day.
Xiaomi Phones to Check Out
- Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro: If you’re in the market for a full-display Android phone, consider the notchless Mi 9T Pro. Aside from the beautiful display, it packs a pop-up camera for your selfie needs. Mi 9T Pro starts at an affordable PHP 18,990.
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro: Xiaomi delivers the best mid-range phones out there, one of which is the Redmi Note 8 Pro. Starting at PHP 11,490, you get long battery life and a fast processor. That’s a steal in today’s market.
- Xiaomi Redmi 8: The baby brother of the Redmi Note 8 Pro starts at PHP 6,490 but that doesn’t mean it’s not good. With that low price, you get a large battery capacity and a good camera for good measure.
There’s no way you could miss OPPO with their aggressive marketing here in the Philippines. Try visiting one of their many booths inside malls and you’ll discover how good their phones are. You’ll probably buy one too with their cheap but good phone available in the Philippines. OPPO’s quick-charging capabilities are just icing on the cake, so go check them out now.
OPPO Phones to Check Out
- OPPO Reno 10X Zoom: OPPO’s counterpart to Huawei’s photography-centric phones, the Reno 10X Zoom delivers on its promise of providing stellar zoom capabilities (3). It starts at PHP 45,990.
- OPPO Reno 2: Another notchless phone from OPPO, the Reno 2 offers the same unique popup camera for a lesser price. Get a full-screen display and huge battery at PHP 28,990.
Just like OPPO, Vivo takes their marketing very seriously. With ambassadors like NBA star Stephen Curry and teen idol Daniel Padilla, who would think their phones are subpar? Vivo excels in providing the one of best smartphone displays possible. Most of their current smartphones have experimented in unique display arrangements, as you will see in their phones below.
Vivo Phones to Check Out
- Vivo NEX 3: Vivo’s fist curved display is a sight to look at. Coupled with a powerful processor and an excellent camera, the NEX 3 is an absolute delight of an Android phone at PHP 39,990.
- Vivo Y19: Vivo didn’t neglect their entry-level department, thanks to the Y19. At PHP 10,999, this budget Android phone get you a large display and battery capacity good enough for everyday use.
Don’t limit yourself to the two smartphone giants in the Philippines. All you have to do is explore the market and you’ll definitely find other Android phone brands that might have the things Samsung and Apple phones don’t. You’ll never know what you’re missing out if you don’t give other smartphone brands a try.
- (1) The World’s Top Five Smartphone Companies (Khandelwal, 2019)
- (2) OnePlus 7T Pro review: small updates make a great phone slightly better (Porter, 2019)
- (3) OPPO Reno 10x Zoom Edition Review (Ty, 2019)
Ricky is the zaniest Senior Content Writer at Moneymax, with over five years of writing experience in the digital marketing industry. He is a huge fan of pro wrestling, smartphones, and binge-watching. Follow Ricky on LinkedIn.