The NBI clearance may just seem like a piece of paper, but it basically tells a lot about your civil standing and reputation in the society. As such, a lot of employers and organizations treat this document as a primary and sometimes non-negotiable requirement.
In the past, obtaining this document automatically meant enduring the long queues of applicants at the issuing office. And if you weren’t lucky enough, you would find yourself waiting for your turn from morning to afternoon.
But those days are gone! Just like a lot of government agencies today, the NBI has modernized its workflow by going digital. This means that its processes, such as booking an appointment for NBI clearance, have become hassle-free and much more efficient.
Ready to start your NBI online registration? Don’t stress yourself in case the entire thing is new to you. Let us help you with this complete guide.
Table of Contents
- What is an NBI Clearance?
- What are the Requirements for Getting an NBI Clearance?
- What are the Steps for Getting an NBI Clearance?
- Step 1: Create Your NBI Account
- Step 2: Log In to Your Account
- Step 3: Fill Out the Application Form
- Step 4: Apply for the NBI Clearance
- Step 5: Select Your NBI Clearance Center and Appointment Schedule
- Step 6: Select Your Payment Option
- Step 7: Pay the NBI Fee
- Step 8: Go to Your Chosen NBI Branch on Your Appointment Date
- Step 9: Wait for Your NBI Clearance
- FAQs About NBI Online Registration
- 1. What’s the NBI Clearance validity?
- 2. How do I check the status of my NBI clearance online application?
- 3. I’m a first-time job seeker. Do I have to pay the NBI clearance fee?
- 4. Can I get a clearance without an NBI appointment application?
- 5. Am I required to print my application form?
- 6. Is there a dress code on the day of my appointment?
- Final Thoughts
What is an NBI Clearance?
An NBI Clearance is an official document issued by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) proving that you have not committed any criminal offense and infraction in the Philippines. You can use this clearance for various purposes, such as the following:
- Local employment – Before an employer completely accepts you as part of their organization, they may look into your background to check if you’ve committed any serious criminal offense, thus this requirement.
- Foreign trips – Want to work abroad? To secure a work visa, you’ll be required to provide this document. The same rule may apply even if you’re just going abroad for a vacation.
- Proof of Identity – Some government agencies may honor your NBI clearance as proof of your identity. You can use it to secure other documents or IDs, such as a driver’s license. Likewise, you can use it to correct errors in government-issued documents, such as your birth certificate.
What are the Requirements for Getting an NBI Clearance?
You only need two government-issued IDs when applying for an NBI clearance online. Any of the following valid IDs will do:
- PRC card
- PSA-issued birth certificate
- Voter’s ID
- PhilHealth ID
- TIN ID
- Driver’s license
- Postal ID
- Senior Citizen ID
- Police clearance
- PWD ID
- OFW ID
- National ID
- Marina ID
- Seaman’s Book
- Company ID (for government employees only)
However, make sure to only provide valid IDs that meet the following requirements:
- Original copy (photocopies are not allowed)
- In good condition
- With a clear photo of the applicant
- Not expired
IMPORTANT NOTE: In case you’re a first-time job seeker, you’ll also need to provide a Barangay Certificate. This document proves that you’re actually a first-time job seeker and that you’re living in your current address for at least six months. Remember that the Barangay Certificate should come with an Oath of Undertaking, which you’ll execute in front of your barangay captain.
- How to Get a Community Tax Certificate in the Philippines
- National ID System in the Philippines: The Good and the Bad
- Everything You Need to Know About the PhilSys National ID
What are the Steps for Getting an NBI Clearance?
Truth be told, the online NBI clearance registration process can be quite confusing for starters. But don’t worry! We’ve come up with an easy-to-understand guide for you.
Step 1: Create Your NBI Account
The first step is the NBI online registration. For this, visit the NBI Clearance website. On the home page, you’ll be asked this question: DO YOU HAVE AN OLD NBI CLEARANCE ISSUED FROM 2014 TO PRESENT? Since it’s your first time to apply, choose NO.
Then, proceed with the account registration. After double-checking your details, mark the box that says READ AND ACCEPT TERMS OF SERVICES, check the I’M NOT A ROBOT box, and then click SIGN UP.
Step 2: Log In to Your Account
After you’ve created your NBI account, sign in using the email address and password you’ve provided during the creation of your account.
Step 3: Fill Out the Application Form
On the Applicant Information page, you’ll find a form that needs to be accomplished. Key in your personal details carefully. After that, click the SAVE INFORMATION button, which you’ll find at the bottom of the page.
A pop-up reminder will ask you to double-check your details. If you’re good with them, click SUBMIT.
For first-time job seekers who want to get their NBI clearance, you can also watch this step-by-step video guide on how to fill up NBI Clearance application form online.
Step 4: Apply for the NBI Clearance
After turning in your personal information, it’s time for the actual NBI clearance application process. On the upper right corner of the screen, you’ll find the APPLY FOR CLEARANCE button. Click it to start the process.
A pop-up box will then prompt you to provide the types of IDs (and their numbers) that you’ll present on the day of your appointment.
To proceed to the next page, click I AGREE.
Step 5: Select Your NBI Clearance Center and Appointment Schedule
You’ll be prompted to pick your preferred NBI Clearance center. After choosing your preferred branch, you’ll then select the appointment date and time. Note that the blue boxes on the appointment calendar are the vacant slots.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Decide on your appointment date carefully. This is because you can no longer reschedule your appointment once you’ve paid the application fee. Nevertheless, if you can’t make it on your appointment date and you’ve already paid the fee, the NBI will give you a 15-day grace period to get your clearance at your nominated branch.
Step 6: Select Your Payment Option
After you’ve selected your preferred NBI branch and schedule, you’ll be asked to choose a payment option for your NBI clearance fee. Here are some of your options:
- Over-the-counter bank payment – Includes banks, such as Metrobank, Chinabank, Land Bank, UnionBank, Security Bank, RCBC, among others
- Online bank payment – Includes UnionBank, BPI, etc.
- Bayad Center – Includes partners such as LBC, Cebuana Lhuillier, Waltermart, Robinsons, and even the Bayad Center mobile app
- 7-Eleven – Includes 7-Eleven branches with payment facilities
- Others – GCash and ECPay
After choosing your payment option, click PROCEED.
Step 7: Pay the NBI Fee
How you’ll settle your NBI clearance fee will depend on your chosen payment option. For example, if you choose online banking, you’ll be directed to a separate banking portal where you’ll complete the transaction. For over-the-counter payments, you’ll receive a reference number.
Currently, the NBI clearance fee is PHP 130. And if you use the e-payment service, you’ll need to cover the additional PHP 25.
Step 8: Go to Your Chosen NBI Branch on Your Appointment Date
On the day of your appointment, head to your chosen NBI branch with your complete requirements. And because you’ve filed your application online, you can go straight to the encoding station where you’ll have your biometrics and photograph taken.
Step 9: Wait for Your NBI Clearance
Your NBI clearance will be released to you in a few minutes as long as there’s no hit. A hit means that you have a namesake who might have a criminal record with the NBI.
If you have a hit, the NBI will delay the issuance of the clearance. This will give them time to verify if the hit is actually yours or just under your namesake. You may be asked to return to the branch after a few days.
FAQs About NBI Online Registration
Got a few questions about your NBI online registration and related matters? Just read this section and you may find the answers that you’re looking for.
1. What’s the NBI Clearance validity?
Your NBI validity period is six months up to a year from issue. This is to keep your NBI record updated should you get involved in anything criminal within those six to 12 months. After your NBI Clearance expires, you’ll need to go online again to apply for a renewal.
2. How do I check the status of my NBI clearance online application?
On your NBI account, just click TRANSACTIONS from the menu. There, you’ll see if your payment has been successfully processed.
3. I’m a first-time job seeker. Do I have to pay the NBI clearance fee?
No. Through the Republic Act No. 11261 or the First Time Job Seekers Assistance Act, first-time job seekers will not have to pay the fees of government documents that are required for employment.
To skip payment in your application, click FIRST TIME JOBSEEKERS under NBI Clearance eServices and then proceed with the registration process.
You must also keep the following in mind:
- You can avail of this privilege once and for one copy of clearance only.
- As mentioned earlier, you’ll also need to present a Barangay Certificate.
- The said Barangay Certificate can be used within one year from its date of issuance.
4. Can I get a clearance without an NBI appointment application?
No, walk-in applicants are not allowed. Before you can enter the NBI Clearance branch, you must present your reference number generated from your online application.
5. Am I required to print my application form?
If you have a printer at home, by all means, print the application form and bring it with you to the NBI Clearance center. However, this is not required. You can simply write down your reference number or take a screenshot of it. After all, you’ve already filed your application online.
6. Is there a dress code on the day of my appointment?
You don’t have to be overly strict with what you’re going to wear on the day of your NBI clearance appointment. However, make sure that you’re wearing decent clothes. Avoid sleeveless tops, shorts, slippers, and anything revealing.
Getting an NBI clearance these days is much easier. Thanks to NBI online registration, you don’t have to endure long queues at the bureau’s office. And because everything’s digital, you can basically book your appointment anytime, anywhere.
One timely and relevant benefit of this process is that you won’t have to stay longer at the appointment venue and inadvertently expose yourself to the virus. Speaking of which, always be mindful whenever you go out. The pandemic isn’t over, so don’t let your guard down.
Always bring your new normal essentials, such as face masks and sanitizers. Observe social distancing and shorten your trips as much as possible.
-  NBI Official Website
-  Republic Act No. 11261
-  You Can Now Apply for NBI Clearance Online (Rappler, 2015)
With a goal to help Filipinos lead healthier financial lives, Moneymax regularly publishes tips and tricks on personal finance and lifestyle, among many other topics. For more finance-related news and articles, follow Moneymax on Linkedin.