NBI Clearance Online Application: A Simple Step-by-Step Guide
Published on: December 14, 2020 . Last updated: April 21, 2021 Category: Government Services
The NBI clearance application used to be a tedious and time-consuming process. Remember how you endured long lines and spent almost an entire day to get that all-important piece of paper? The experience would get worse if you had a hit, which meant you’d have to bear the agony of waiting and the hassle of returning to finally pick up your clearance.
But thankfully, you no longer have to endure all these. The NBI has gone digital and has improved the process of how to apply for NBI clearance in the Philippines. You just need a desktop or mobile device and an internet connection to do your NBI online registration in the comforts of your home.
Save time and ensure successful processing of your clearance with the help of this NBI Clearance online application guide.
Table of Contents
- How to Apply for NBI Clearance Online
- FAQs about NBI Clearance
- Final Thoughts
You only need two government-issued IDs when applying for an NBI clearance online. Any of the following valid IDs will do:
- PRC card
- PSA-issued birth certificate
- Voter’s ID
- PhilHealth ID
- TIN ID
- Driver’s license
- Old copy of NBI Clearance
- Postal ID
- School ID
- Alien Certificate of Registration
- Senior Citizen ID
- Police clearance
However, make sure to only provide valid IDs that meet the following requirements:
- Original copy (photocopies are not allowed)
- In good condition
- With a clear photo of the applicant
- Not expired
Non-government-issued IDs such as company ID and Barangay Clearance are not accepted as valid IDs for the application.
How to Apply for NBI Clearance Online
The step-by-step guide below is for first-time applicants and those with their latest NBI Clearance issued before 2014. If you were issued with an NBI clearance from 2014 to 2018, head on to this article about NBI Clearance Renewal.
Step 1: Online Account Registration
- Visit the NBI Clearance website .
- On the Register box, tick the “No” box next to “Do you have an old NBI clearance?”
- Fill out the NBI Clearance Online Account Registration form.
- Tick the box next to “I accept terms of service.” Read the Terms of Service and click the Agree button.
- Click the Sign Up button. An Important Reminder box will show. Review the information there. Click the Yes button to confirm.
- Once you see a confirmation of successful registration on the screen, log in to your account by entering your email address and password.
- Fill out the NBI Clearance Online Application Form. Once done, click the Save Information button.
- Double-check your information. To make changes to your personal details, click the Edit Information button. Then click the Save Information button again after editing your info.
- Click the Apply for Clearance button.
- On the Confirmation box, enter the valid ID you’ll present. Although only one ID is being asked for this step, you’ll still need to bring two valid IDs on your scheduled appointment.
- Click the I Agree button to proceed with the NBI online process.
For first-time job seekers who want to get their NBI clearance, you can also watch this step-by-step video guide on how to fill up NBI Clearance application form online.
Step 2: NBI Clearance Online Appointment
When your online registration is complete, the Online Appointment page will appear.
To set your schedule (your personal appearance at an NBI branch), choose the NBI branch where you want to submit your application from the drop-down menu.
You’ll see a calendar with open slots (the blue boxes) for your chosen branch. Dates with red boxes indicate a holiday when the NBI branch is closed.
Choose your preferred date and time (either AM or PM) by clicking on the corresponding button on the calendar.
Where can you make your NBI clearance appointment?
You can set your NBI schedule at several NBI branches in Metro Manila. If you’re living outside Metro Manila and wondering where to get NBI Clearance, you can find provincial branches from the drop down menu as well.
That means no need to travel all the way to Manila if you’re living in, say, Laguna or Cavite. We’ve listed down some NBI branches in the city where you can get your NBI Clearance, including the NBI Clearance main office on U.N. Avenue in Ermita.
- Alimall Araneta Center, Cubao, Quezon City
- Bermal Mall, Baclaran, Paranaque City
- Choice Market, Ortigas, Pasig City
- Duty Free Fiesta Mall, Paranaque City
- SM Centre Point, Las Pinas City
- LRT North Mall, Caloocan City
- Marikina Riverbank, Marikina City
- Starmall Alabang, Muntinlupa City
- NBI Clearance Center, U.N. Avenue, Manila
- Shaw Center Mall, Addition Hills, Mandaluyong
- Philpost Manila, Liwasang Bonifacio, Manila
- POEA, EDSA corner Ortigas Extension, Mandaluyong
- Quezon City Hall, Makatarungan Street, Diliman
- Rizal District Office, Brgy San Isidro, Taytay, Rizal
- Robinson Novaliches II
- Robinson’s Cainta
- Robinson’s Galleria
- Robinson’s Metro East, Marcos Hi-way, Pasig
- Robinson’s Otis, Paco, Manila
- Robinson’s Place Ermita
Back to the main article: Valid IDs in the Philippines You Need to Have
Step 3: Pay Your NBI Clearance Fees
NBI Clearance payment methods:
- Bank over the counter – Cash deposit at BDO, BPI, Metrobank, PNB, Security Bank, UnionBank, or any partner bank
- Online bank – Payment via the online banking facility of a partner bank
- Bayad Center – Cash payment at any Bayad Center outlet or its partners nationwide
- MultiPay – Payment via MultiPay wallet or at any Bayad Center-MultiPay outlet
- ECPay – Payment at any ECPay outlet such as RD Pawnshop and San Mig Food Avenue
- 7-Eleven – Payment using the CLiQQ kiosk at a 7-Eleven branch
How much is NBI clearance?
The fee regardless of purpose (local employment, travel abroad, etc.) is PHP 130 plus PHP 25 system fee for the e-payment service, for a total of PHP 155.
Aside from the NBI Clearance price, the payment center may also charge a service fee for processing your payment.
How do I pay for my NBI Clearance fee?
- Choose your preferred payment option on the right side of the Appointment page.
- The Payment box will show a reference number and the total amount to be paid. Write down the reference number and click the Accept button.
- Go to the nearest branch of the payment option you selected.
- Pay for the NBI Clearance fee using your reference number.
- To check if your payment of NBI Clearance went through, sign in to your NBI Clearance online account and click the Transactions button on the left menu. The status should show “Paid” instead of “Pending.”
Step 4: Application Processing
- Go to the NBI Clearance center on your appointment schedule. Bring two valid IDs.
- Proceed to the Biometric and Image Capture area. Present your reference number.
- Have your photo, fingerprint, and digital signature taken.
- The NBI Clearance staff will show you your information from a computer screen. Review all the details thoroughly, making sure everything is correct.
- Proceed to the Printing area. Wait for your NBI Clearance to be printed and issued to you.
FAQs about NBI Clearance
What’s the NBI Clearance validity?
Your NBI validity period is 6 months up to a year from issue. This is to keep your NBI record updated should you get involved in anything criminal within those 6 to 12 months. After your NBI Clearance expiration, you will need to go online again to apply for a renewal.
You can check your NBI validity under the NBI Clearance eServices tab on the NBI Clearance main page. Click the NBI Clearance Online Verification tab, input your NBI ID Number or scan the QR code, and click Verify.
- Complete Guide to PSA Online Services via PSA Serbilis and PSA Helpline
- LTO Student Permit Application Guide for First-Time Drivers
How long does the NBI clearance process take?
The renewal process itself takes only about 15 to 45 minutes. Your requirements will be checked and verified, after which you will proceed to fingerprinting, digital signature, and photo taking. If your name has no hit, you can receive your NBI Clearance a few minutes later. If there is a hit, you will be asked to come back 5 to 10 days later.
What if I don’t make it to my NBI appointment schedule?
This will depend on whether or not you’ve already paid your NBI Clearance. If you haven’t, your appointment schedule will automatically be cancelled and you will need to make a new online appointment.
If you have already settled your payment, you have up to 15 days from your missed appointment to personally visit your appointed NBI branch and process your clearance.
Can I get a clearance without an NBI appointment application?
No, walk-in applicants are not allowed. Before you can enter the NBI Clearance branch, you must present your reference number generated from your online application.
Now that you know how to apply for it online, you’ll realize that it’s actually simpler than it sounds. Just follow the steps correctly and provide complete and accurate information when getting your NBI Clearance.
Make your NBI appointment online at least two weeks ahead. More often than not, the branch near you is fully booked. This way. you’ll get your clearance on time, even if there’s a hit.
Source:  NBI Official Website
With a goal to help Filipinos lead healthier financial lives, Moneymax regularly publishes tips and tricks on personal finance and lifestyle, among many other topics. For more finance-related news and articles, follow Moneymax on Linkedin.