Need a Card? Here’s a Guide to Credit Card Online Application
Published: October 12, 2021 | Updated: October 18, 2021 | Posted by: Pierre Salonga | Credit Card
The number of credit cardholders in the Philippines increased from 7.5 million in 2013 to 9 million in 2018. Apart from the different credit card types and perks offered by banks, the convenience of a credit card online application may have also played a part in the increase. Not to mention that it’s much safer to just apply online than go to the bank during a pandemic.
Traditionally, you need to head down your bank’s nearest branch to apply for a credit card. You’d have to wait in line for your turn to submit your requirements and wait for approval, which can be time-consuming. But thanks to modern technology, long queues for credit card applications have become a thing of the past. Online application now allows potential customers to apply for a card at the comfort of their home.
Table of Contents
- Why You Should Apply for a Credit Card Online
- What to Do Before Applying for a Credit Card Online
- Credit Card Online Application Basic Requirements
- How to Apply for a Credit Card Online
- Using Your Credit Card Responsibly
- Final Thoughts
Why You Should Apply for a Credit Card Online
A credit card online application offers various advantages compared to its traditional counterpart. Here are some of them:
This is probably the number one reason why a lot of people prefer online credit card applications. You don’t have to spend time going to your preferred bank’s nearest branch and wait in line. There’s no extra time wasted as you can just submit your requirements for a credit card through your preferred bank’s website. All you need is a computer with internet access.
Access to a Wide Range of Credit Card Products
Traditionally, if you want to compare credit cards from various issuers, you need to visit each institution separately or call up different hotlines to review their offerings. These days, you can look up credit cards offered by various issuers online. Some websites also let you compare different types of credit cards based on your needs and lifestyle. You can also use these websites to sign up for a credit card online.
Shorter Processing Time
Processing of credit card applications online is usually faster. Simply fill out the online application and upload a copy of your requirements. Unless you have issues with the requirements, your application can be approved as fast as a day after submission.
Safer Application Process
Data security is one of the primary concerns when using the internet. However, a credit card online application is safe and secure. Banks and other credit card application platforms ensure that their systems protect each customer’s private information.
What to Do Before Applying for a Credit Card Online
While it only takes 20 minutes to fill out your credit card online application, preparing the requirements takes longer than that. Here are a few pointers to consider before applying for a credit card:
Identify Your Needs
There’s no one-size-fits-all credit card. Different credit cards suit different individuals, so you need to consider what you want, need, and can afford.
The following can help you determine which type of credit card may best suit you:
- Purpose of the card. Where do you plan to use the card for? If you need a credit card for general spending, a low-interest credit card may suit you the best. However, if you need a card for debt consolidation, you may have to do more research as there are a lot of options in the market.
- Your spending habit. How much can you afford in monthly repayments? Apart from your would-be credit card, what other debts do you need to pay? Determine how much of your monthly budget goes to paying debts. If loans are taking up most of your finances, perhaps adding a credit card into the mix isn’t a good idea.
Know the Different Types of Credit Cards
Different credit card types appeal to different people. Here are some of the types available in the market:
- Standard credit card. This is the easiest card to qualify for because of its low minimum requirements. It also comes with more affordable annual fees compared to other credit card types. However, it also usually doesn’t offer any rewards.
- Credit card with no annual fee. As the name suggests, this kind of credit card doesn’t have any yearly fee to maintain.
- Rewards credit card. This type of card offers rewards on purchases made using a credit card. You can earn points every time you use your card and exchange them for cash rebates, gift certificates, and other perks.
- Cashback credit card. With this type of card, you get some of your cash back when you make a credit card purchase. It’s ideal if you want to save some money every time you use your card.
If you’re ready to explore some credit cards, check out the following:
- Bank of Commerce Classic Mastercard
- PNB Ze-Lo Mastercard
- UnionBank Lazada credit card
- BPI Visa Signature
- EastWest Platinum Mastercard
- Maybank Platinum Mastercard
- RCBC Gold Mastercard
- RCBC JCB Platinum
- Security Bank Platinum Mastercard
- Metrobank Dollar credit card
Don’t Rush It
Take your time and do your research about various credit card products and issuers in the market. Don’t jump at the first credit card deal that pops up on your search results. Spend some time doing a credit card comparison to find the best one that suits your financial needs.
You can compare your credit card choices based on the following:
- Interest rate
- Annual fee
- Penalty charge
- Supplementary card and additional fee
- Rewards program and other perks
Check the Requirements
It’s futile to submit a credit card online application if you don’t qualify. So it’s best to check the eligibility and requirements of your preferred bank before filling out an online form. It will also help you prepare any documents you may need to get beforehand.
Credit Card Online Application Basic Requirements
Here are some general eligibility and requirements you need to fulfill before applying for a credit card online:
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must be a Filipino citizen or a local foreign resident
- Have a gross annual income of at least PHP 120,000
- Accomplished online application form
- Government-issued valid ID
- Proof of income such as payslips, latest BIR form 2316, and Certificate of Employment
- DTI or SEC registration (for self-employed applications)
- Alien Certificate of Registration (for foreign applicants)
Your issuing bank may ask you to submit additional requirements and fulfill other eligibility criteria. Check the website first before submitting your credit card online application.
How to Apply for a Credit Card Online
Applying for a credit card online is easy. Here are the steps:
- Visit your preferred bank’s official website and go to its credit card online application page.
- Fill out the online application form. Ensure that you provide your complete information to avoid delays.
- Take photos of the required documents and upload them as part of your application.
- Double-check the details you provided in your online application form.
- Once you’re sure everything is complete and accurate, submit your application.
The processing time for online application can be as fast as one business day after you submit your form. However, it typically takes three to 10 days before you get any update about your credit card application.
Apart from your preferred bank’s official website, you can also file your credit card online application through comparison websites like Moneymax.
Moneymax partners with different banks in the country to provide a tailored and hassle-free application process. It also lets you narrow your credit card choices based on the information you provide. More importantly, Moneymax is also safe to use, making sure that your information is secure.
Using Your Credit Card Responsibly
After your credit card online application is approved, you can now use your credit card. But before you go on a swiping spree, be mindful of having too much credit card debt. It’s a problem for many Filipinos. In 2015, the total credit card in the country totaled PHP 157.394 billion. However, when used wisely, a credit card can help in building your finances.
Here are a few tips that can help you be a responsible credit cardholder:
Pay Your Bills on Time
Delay in credit card payments can result in penalty charges. Some banks charge up to PHP 500 every month for delayed payments. Pay your bills in full every month to avoid any penalty. It’s also a great way to keep your interest rates low and improve your credit history.
Spend What You Can Afford
If you don’t want to end up with any card delinquency, you need to stay out of credit card debt altogether. Only use your card for what you can afford, and pay your bill in full. It may seem challenging, but it can help you avoid getting into credit card debt and paying hefty penalty charges.
Track Your Spending
Being on top of your expenses can help you plan your monthly budget and see if you’ve reached your credit limit. You can track your credit card spending by checking your online account frequently, saving your receipts, and maintaining a ledger.
Check Your Credit Card Statement
View your credit card statement monthly. It has important information such as any reward points earned, which you can redeem for perks. Your credit card statement also explains your monthly charges and deadlines.
Applying for a credit card is easier than ever because of the internet. While it only takes a few minutes of your day to submit a credit card online application, you must do your due diligence to find the card that fits your needs the best. Once you have your credit card, use it wisely to avoid any debts that may strain your finances.