How to Use the LTO Online Portal: A Guide for Motorists in the Philippines
By: Venus Zoleta
Published on: July 7, 2020 . Last updated: September 2, 2020 Category: Government Services
Need to file your driver’s license or car registration application or renewal? Why spend several hours at the LTO office (while exposing yourself to the risk of getting COVID-19) when you can just transact online?
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has recently launched an online portal for processing different transactions like license applications and renewal. This new LTO online system is part of the government agency’s transition to the new normal—which means people can transact at home over the internet and minimize physical contact at an LTO branch.
To avoid running into problems while using the LTO online portal, familiarize yourself with the new system. Here’s everything you need to know about the agency’s online services.
Table of Contents
- What is LTO Online Portal?
- Advantages of Using the LTMS Portal
- Are LTO Online Services Available to All?
- LTO Online Registration
- LTO Online Driver’s License Application and Renewal
- Final Thoughts
What is LTO Online Portal?
The LTO online portal, officially called the Land Transportation Management System (LTMS), is a new web-based system that automates different transactions for motorists in the Philippines, including overseas Filipinos.
LTO Online Services Available through the LTMS Portal
These are the services currently available in the LTO web portal. Services may change over time.
- Application and renewal for all types of licenses (Note: LTO online application for student permit will start on August 3, 2020.)
- Cashless payment for driver’s license processing fees
- Replacement of lost/damaged license
- Conversion of foreign driver’s license to professional or non-professional license
- Change of classification from non-professional to professional license
- Request for additional restriction code or category
- Revision of records
- Request for Certificate of No Apprehension
- Submit position papers for contested cases of traffic violations
- Motor vehicle registration (available by the second week of July 2020)
Advantages of Using the LTMS Portal
1. Faster LTO Transactions
Launched on May 18, 2020, the LTMS portal will speed up and simplify your transactions with the LTO. The online portal significantly shortens processing times at LTO offices. This is a lot more efficient compared to walk-in transactions that involve too many steps and usually take as much as four hours.
LTO online services on the LTMS portal are available 24/7, so you can transact at your most convenient time. You can use the online system even if you’re abroad.
All you have to do is access the portal from your computer or smartphone, upload the requirements, set an appointment, and pay for LTO fees online.
To complete your transaction, you’ll just have to visit your LTO branch of appointment for processing your photo and biometrics capture, as well as taking the driving exams (for driver’s license application/renewal).
The LTO is also planning to accredit courier services that will deliver driver’s licenses and license plates to those who use the online services.
For an even faster process, check out these guides to LTO transactions:
- List of LTO Fees for Car Registration, Driver’s License, and Violations
- Complete Guide to LTO Car Registration and Renewal
2. Safer Way to Process Your LTO Documents
Amid the threat of COVID-19, physical distancing is hard to implement with the manual processing of driver’s license, vehicle registration, and other LTO transactions.
But with the new LTO online system, people will spend lesser time securing their needed documents at the LTO offices. Lines will be shorter, and overcrowding will be prevented.
3. Increase Your Chance of Passing the Theoretical Exam
The theoretical exam is one of the LTO exams you need to pass to get a driver’s license or student permit in the Philippines.
You can use the LTMS portal’s e-learning module to review for the theoretical exam. It’s a good way to prepare for your license application. With the help of the online reviewer, you avoid wasting time going back and forth to the LTO office in case you fail the theoretical exam.
The module consists of 60 questions (per license type and category) that you must complete within an hour. After you answer each question, the system will show the correct answer. The questions may or may not be asked in the actual LTO exam.
Here’s how you can access the LTO e-learning module:
- Click on “E-Learning” > “Theoretical Exams”
- Choose the type of license you’re applying for (student permit/non-professional license/professional license).
- If you select Driver’s License, the system will also require you to choose your license category (e.g., motorcycle, light vehicle, light commercial vehicle, etc.)
Are LTO Online Services Available to All?
The LTO has just begun implementing the LTMS and is doing it gradually in select offices, so it isn’t available yet in all branches and for all types of transactions.
LTO Offices That Process Online Transactions
As of this writing, the online services are processed only in 24 LTO offices under the General Community Quarantine (GCQ).
- Central Office-License Section
- Eastwood DLRO
- Ever Gotesco DLRO
- Muntinlupa District Office
- Quezon City Licensing Center
- Angeles District Office
- Baguio Licensing Center
- Bayombong District Office
- Biñan District Office
- Calapan District Office
- Laoag District Office
- Lipa District Office
- Naga District Office
- San Fernando Licensing Center
- Dumaguete District Office
- Ormoc District Office
- Roxas District Office
- Tagbilaran District Office
- Butuan District Office
- Davao District Office
- General Santos District Office.
- Malaybalay District Office
- Pagadian District Office
- Tagum District Office
Walk-in transactions are still processed in all other LTO branches in the Philippines. Once everything runs smoothly in all the pilot offices, the LTO will implement the online system in all its branches nationwide.
LTO Online Registration
To start using the LTO online portal, you have to register for an LTMS account first. Here’s how to register online through the LTMS portal.
- Access the LTMS website at portal.lto.gov.ph.
- Click the Register Now button.
- Read and accept the Terms of Agreement.
- Select “Enroll as an Individual.”
- Enter all the required details. When you’re done, click the Create Account button.
- After submitting your personal information to LTO online, you’ll receive an email containing your 15-digit LTO client number (which will serve as your account username) and a link for verifying your account registration. Click on that link within 24 hours from receiving the message (Or else, your initial LTO online registration record will be removed from the system).
- Create your password (with at least eight characters, one alphabet, one number, upper case, and lower case letters). Re-enter your password to confirm it. Click the Set Password for Login button.
- Log in to your LTO online account using your username and password. You can now access the different LTO online services through the portal.
LTO Online Driver’s License Application and Renewal
The LTO online driver’s license application and renewal may involve too many steps, but the process is actually very quick and easy as long as you have all the requirements ready. Just follow the steps below:
How to apply for a new driver’s license or renew your license via LTO online
- Sign in to your LTO online account through the LTMS portal.
- Select “Licensing.”
- Choose your license type (student permit/driver’s license).
- Click the Add Medical Certificate button.
- Enter your medical certificate number and click the Verify button*.
- Select your driver’s license application type (new/renewal).
- Complete the online application form.
- Upload any required document indicated in the Document Description dropdown.
- The LTO fees you’ll have to pay will be displayed. Click the Apply button.
- Choose your preferred LTO office where you’ll complete your transaction, as well as your appointment date and time from the available slots. Click the Proceed to Payment button.
- Select your payment method (BancNet/BPI Online/GCash/UnionBank Online)**. Click the Proceed to Summary button.
- Review your transaction summary. Click the Finish Transaction button.
- Read the e-payment and appointment disclaimers. Click the Accept button.
- Your order summary and billing details will appear. Read and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Click on your chosen payment method. Then click the Continue button. This will take you to a secure third-party site where you’ll complete your online payment transaction.
Please take note:
*The LTO-accredited clinic where you had your medical exam should have submitted your certificate online to the LTO. Otherwise, your medical certificate number would fail to verify, and you can’t move on to the next step of your online driver’s license application or renewal.
**On top of the LTO fees for your license application/renewal, you’ll also have to pay for the convenience fee, which varies per online payment method.
To save time for your driver’s license or car registration renewal, take advantage of the LTO online services through the LTMS portal. The system may not be flawless as of the moment. Sometimes, it may bog down because of a lot of users trying to access the system at the same time. But using this convenient online portal is a good start.
If you have questions or need help regarding the use of the LTO online portal, you may send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get a Free Car Insurance Quote!
Looking for car insurance? Below is a list of top car insurance companies and their features. Compare your options and get a free quote from Moneymax!