With the pandemic shutting down schools came the interest of people on study abroad programs, including Filipinos who wish to access education from foreign institutions. Although you’re not one of the 65 Pinoy scholars that the European Union is sending to Europe this August, you can still realize your dream of getting a certificate from schools abroad if you search for learning opportunities online.
Whether for free or with a fee, online degree programs for working adults, and even for new graduates, can be accessed from the comforts of your home. Keep reading and check which of these opportunities can help you level up your education.
Why Look for Study Abroad Programs?
It’s normal to feel scared or intimidated when we talk about international education. However, study abroad programs online can let you experience international education without traveling or leaving your loved ones behind. It can also be an avenue for you to showcase your skills and discover your potential.
Access to online programs is as easy as logging in to your Netflix account. With a personal computer or laptop connected to the internet, you can learn many things by accessing your online accounts. You don't need to worry about commutes because learning is just within the four walls of your home.
Studying abroad is expensive. Aside from the tuition, you also need to spend on airfare, accommodation, and visa costs, just to name a few. And how much money you need depends on the program you're going to take. For instance, those who are planning to study in the UK should prepare the following monthly allowances:
- £1,334 or around PHP 93,750 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London
- £1,023 or around PHP 71,895 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London
Considering these numbers, you need to save at least PHP 1 million per year for allowances alone. If you're enrolled in online degree programs for working adults, you only need to worry about your monthly bills, like electricity and internet.
With study abroad programs, you can get into a more flexible studying and learning arrangement. You can pick the subjects which suit your schedule. You can also decide how many units you can accommodate for a given semester. The flexibility of study abroad online programs also allows you to multi-task and set priorities.
4. Opportunity to Stay on Track with Your Goals
Online study abroad programs can help you stay on track when it comes to achieving your education goals. Some courses that you want may not be available in most schools in the Philippines. You can find more options abroad by searching for the best study abroad programs that can push your goals forward.
5. Unique Experience
The best study abroad programs give you the chance to have multicultural exposure by broadening your horizon and expanding your networks. Nobody knows where your dreams will take you someday, and having connections in different parts of the world can be useful, both personally and professionally.
Where to Avail the Best Study Abroad Programs
There are lots of study abroad programs offered online. Depending on your line of interest, you can pursue postgraduate studies with free online master's degree programs.
Check the list below for the available courses you can take online from different universities.
1. Harvard University
Want to study at one of the world’s premier universities just like former Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago, Senator Juan Ponce Enrile, Senator Francis Pangilinan, and Jaime Zobel de Ayala II did?
Enroll at Harvard University’s HarvardX and choose from some of these free online courses:
- Rhetoric: The Art of Persuasive Writing and Public Speaking
- CS50's Introduction to Computer Science
- CS50's Introduction to Game Development
- Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies
- Contract Law: From Trust to Promise to Contract
- Principles of Biochemistry
- Early Childhood Development: Global Strategies for Implementation
- Calculus Applied
- Introduction to Programming
- Principles, Statistical and Computational Tools for Reproducible Data Science
2. Georgia Institute of Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology is a technology-focused learning institution in Atlanta. It has around 40,000 students who physically attend face-to-face classes, representing 50 states and 149 countries.
Some of the free courses you can take include the following:
- Data Analytics in Business
- Computing for Data Analysis (DL 002MM)
- Computing in Python I: Fundamentals and Procedural Programming (DL 0044M)
- Computing in Python II: Control Structures (DL 0045M)
- Computing in Python III: Data Structures (DL 0046M)
- Computing in Python IV: Objects and Algorithms (DL 0047M)
- Data Structures & Algorithms I: ArrayLists, LinkedLists, Stacks, and Queues (DL 0060M)
- Data Structures & Algorithms II: Binary Trees, Heaps, Skiplists, and Hashmaps (DL 0061M)
- Data Structures & Algorithms III: AVL and 2-4 Trees, Divide and Conquer Algorithms (DL 0062M)
- Data Structures & Algorithms IV: Pattern Matching, Dijkstra’s, MST, and Dynamic Programming Algorithms (DL 0063M)
- Games Without Chance: Combinatorial Game Theory (DL 0010M)
- Health Informatics: Current and Historical Perspective (DL 0030M)
- Health Informatics: Data and Interoperability Standards (DL 0031M)
- Health Informatics: The Cutting Edge (DL 0032M)
3. Michigan State University
Michigan State University has been advancing premiere education for over 160 years. Currently, it’s one of the top 100 universities in the world and is hailed as No.1 in the Nuclear Science Graduate Program.
Check out these courses it’s offering:
- Become a Journalist: Report the News! Specialization
- Game Design and Development with Unity 2020 Specialization
- Photography Basics and Beyond: From Smartphone to DSLR Specialization
- Game Design and Development 1: 2D Shooter
- Write Your First Novel
4. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Located at Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is an international research university established in 1991. HKUST is dedicated to top-notch education and research. It was founded on its mission to advance learning and knowledge through teaching and research, particularly in science, technology, engineering, management, and business studies. Currently, here are some of the courses you can take up:
- Advanced Cardiac Imaging: Cardiac Magnetic Resonance
- Blockchain and FinTech: Basics, Applications, and Limitations
- State, Law & The Economy
- Engineering Calculus and Differential Equations
- Humanity and Nature in Chinese Thought
- Interpreting Vernacular Architecture in Asia
- Hong Kong Cinema Through a Global Lens
5. University College of London
The University College of London or ULC has a wide range of courses to offer. ULC was established in 1826 and is rated the top university in the UK for research. UCL is ranked 8th in the 2022 QS World University Rankings with 30 Nobel Prize laureates. Sign up for any of these courses offered by the UCL:
- Academic English: Pronunciation and Public Speaking
- Acute Stroke Care: An Online Course for the Multidisciplinary Team
- Airway Matters: Airway Management for Healthcare Practitioners (Online)
- Analyzing 2x2 Tables: Chi-Square Test and Beyond
- Ancient Philosophy Summer School
- ANOVA: General Linear Models (GLMs) with SPSS
- Antennas and Propagation
- Anthropology of Home
- Anthropology of Social Media: Why We Post
6. Ecole Polytechnique
Ecole Polytechnique was established in 1794 and is a founding member of the Institut Polytechnique de Paris. Napoleon granted the school military status in 1804 in recognition of its service to the nation. If you wish to study at Ecole, here are some courses it’s currently offering:
- Genius : Promenades Mathématiques
- Density Functional Theory
- Outsmarting Intermittency
- Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells
- Wind Resources For Renewable Energies
- Introduction To Distribution Theory
- Fundamentals Of Fluid-Solid Interactions
- Quantum Optics 2: Two Photons And More
- Random: An Introduction To Probability (Part 1)
- Photovoltaic Solar Energy
What are the Requirements to Study Abroad?
Depending on the program, requirements will differ from one school and country to another. For instance, studying in the UK starts with calculating your UCAS Tariff points, which translate your qualifications and grades into a numerical value. Most schools in the UK refer to your UCAS Tariff points when assessing your eligibility for enrollment.
Some of the general requirements include:
- Updated school records
- Birth certificate
- Accomplished application form
- Online account
- Recommendations from previous teachers or professors
- An essay or write-up declaring your intention to enroll
- English language proficiency through English language proficiency tests such as TOEFL or IELTS
How to Prepare for Study Abroad Programs Online
Education has made a digital shift that all learners should be able to adjust to. If you're planning on enrolling in study abroad programs or even free masters degree online programs, here are some helpful tips:
Choose the Right Course or Program
With tons of courses available online, you may find it hard to decide which one to take. As a guide, pick a program that’s aligned with your degree of interest. If you've already exhausted your options to advance in your field of expertise, choose a program that you think you can use after completion. For instance, if you've graduated with a degree in Journalism, you may want to take a program that will provide you with additional skills in online advertising or online language teaching.
Choose the Right School
Enrolling in the right school will give you the best opportunity to explore your chosen field of study and expand your social and professional network. Choose a school online with requirements you can easily fulfill and that offers the program you're most interested in.
You may also want to consider the learning experience you'd like to have, like a more relaxed and creative online classroom setting or a more competitive and dynamic virtual learning atmosphere.
According to Sir Benjamin Franklin, an investment in knowledge pays the best interest. Education can ensure a brighter future for you and your family. Without it, you’ll find it more difficult to get ahead in the world and realize your dreams.
Take advantage of the lockdown and search for study abroad programs that will increase your knowledge and teach you new skills. Advance your career and open yourself to a world of learning and brighter horizons.
-  EU sending 65 Pinoy scholars to Europe in August (Philippine News Agency, 2021)
-  Student Visa (Gov.UK)
-  HarvardX: Free online courses from Harvard University (EDX, 2021)
-  Massive Open Online Courses (Georgia Tech Professional Education)
-  Michigan State University (Michigan State University on Coursera, 2021)
-  HongKong University of Science and Technology (HKU Teaching and Learning, 2021)
-  Online Courses (University College London, 2021)
-  Free Online Programs Open to All (École Polytechnique, 2021)
-  UCAS Tariff Points (UCAS, 2021)