Subscribe to our newsletter, please? 

Reasons why you should sign up for the Moneymax newsletter right now:

✅ Get the latest Moneymax promos

✅ Find the latest credit card deals

✅ Weekly financial guides and tips

I agree to the terms and conditions and agree to receive relevant marketing content according to our privacy policy.

Success Tick Icon
Success! Thank you for signing up for our weekly Moneymax newsletter.

How to Make Voluntary Contributions to Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS

Venus Zoleta

Venus Zoleta

Last updated May 08, 2021


Did you resign from your job to become a full-time freelancer, OFW, or a business owner? Paying your Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS contributions is no longer your former employer's responsibility—you have to do voluntary contribution from now on.

It's important to continue your contribution payments with these government offices as a voluntary member. You can avail of a personal loan or housing loan, benefits (such as sickness, maternity, and retirement benefits), and health insurance—only if you meet the required minimum number of contributions.

Here are the things you need to do if you're planning to continue your voluntary contribution to Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS.

How to Update Your Membership Records for Voluntary Contribution

Before you can start remitting your voluntary contribution, you need to update your membership status with Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS from employed to self-employed or OFW. It involves going to each of the government agency's branch and filling out a form. You may be also required to present supporting documents.

How to Change Your Pag-IBIG Membership Information

  1. Download and fill out the Pag-IBIG Member’s Data Form (MDF)[1].
  2. Under Membership Category, mark the appropriate status (OFW or Self-Employed).
  3. Submit the accomplished MDF together with your supporting documents to the nearest Pag-IBIG branch.
  4. Get a Payment Order Form and proceed to the Cash Division to pay your Pag-IBIG contribution.

Pag-IBIG Requirements for Changing Membership to Self-Employed:

  • Two (2) valid IDs
  • Latest income tax return (ITR) with last year's CPA-certified financial statement
  • Employee Statement of Accumulated Value (ESAV)*
  • Business Permit or Mayor’s Permit
  • DTI or SEC registration under your name

Pag-IBIG Requirements for Changing Membership to OFW:

  • Two 1x1 ID photos
  • Any valid ID such as passport
  • Latest valid Contract of Employment with POEA stamp
  • Employee Statement of Accumulated Value (ESAV)*
  • Special Power of Attorney (if someone else will submit your documents on your behalf)

*Note: The ESAV contains all your Pag-IBIG contributions remitted by your previous employers. You can get it from the Pag-IBIG branch where your last employer paid your contributions.

Read more: How to Check if Your Employer is Paying Your Government Contributions

How to Update Your PhilHealth Member Data Record

how to update philhealth member data record
Photo from Philippine Health Insurance Corporation Facebook page
  1. Download the PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF)[2].
  2. On the upper right corner of the PMRF, put a check mark next to For Updating.
  3. Fill out the form. Under Membership Category and Informal Economy, choose the appropriate response.
    - For OFWs, tick Migrant Worker and Land Based or Sea Based.
    - For freelancers, tick Self-Earning Individual and indicate your estimated monthly income.
  4. Submit the accomplished PMRF to the nearest PhilHealth branch. OFWs may email their form to ofp@philhealth.gov.ph.
  5. Wait for the printed copy or email of your updated PhilHealth Member Data Record (MDR).

PhilHealth Requirements for Changing Membership to OFW:

OFWs may present any of these documents when updating their membership to voluntary contribution:

  • Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)
  • Employment Contract
  • Working visa/re-entry form
  • Company ID issued by an overseas employer
  • Cash remittance receipt for money sent from abroad (at least two months before)
  • Valid ID or certificate issued in the country of employment

Related article: PhilHealth Benefits Guide for Regular and Voluntary Members

How to Change Your SSS Membership Type

For Self-Employed SSS Members:

  1. Download and fill out two copies of the Member's Data Change Request form (SSS Form E-4)[3].
  2. Choose Change of Membership Type and To Self-Employed. Under that field, indicate the nature of your profession, the year it started, and your monthly income.
  3. Submit the filled-out forms along with a photocopy of your Unified Multi-Purpose ID (UMID) card. Present your original UMID card as well.

For OFWs:

  1. Download and fill out three copies of the Contributions Payment Return (SSS Form RS-5)[4].
  2. Under Type of Payor, put a check mark next to Overseas Filipino Worker.
  3. Submit the accomplished forms to an SSS branch together with your SSS contribution payment for the applicable month or quarter. Your SSS membership status will be changed to OFW upon posting of your payment.
Apply for a personal loan at Moneymax!

How Much is My Voluntary Contribution?

Make your contributions to Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS a fixed part of your monthly budget so that you won't miss a payment. Here's what you need to know about the voluntary contribution rates for self-employed and OFWs.

Pag-IBIG Voluntary Contribution Rates

The minimum monthly savings or contribution for all Pag-IBIG members, including freelancers and OFWs, is PHP 200. You may increase your monthly payments to maximize your Pag-IBIG benefits.

PhilHealth Voluntary Contribution Rates

PhilHealth recently announced a contribution hike that will increase the voluntary contribution of OFWs from 2.75% to 3%. But after a public uproar, President Rodrigo Duterte urged the agency to suspend the collection indefinitely. For the meantime, members "can still opt to pay or not to pay for the moment." [5]

Voluntary Contribution - OFW Contribution Table
  • Voluntary members: PHP 300 per month or PHP 3,600 per year
  • Land-based OFWs: Minimum of PHP 7,488 per year (can be paid in advance for two to five years)
  • Seafarers: Same salary-based premium contribution rate as employed PhilHealth members (Those earning PHP 40,000 and above monthly pay a PHP 1,100 monthly contribution.)

SSS Voluntary Contribution Rates

Whether you're a self-employed or an OFW-member, your SSS contribution rate is 11% of your monthly salary credit, which is based on the monthly income you declared when you updated your SSS membership records.

For OFWs, the minimum monthly salary credit is at PHP 8,000, so the minimum SSS contribution is PHP 960. OFWs earning PHP 19,750 or higher per month pay the maximum contribution of PHP 2,400.

SSS Contributions Table

Refer to the SSS contributions table for the full list of rates for voluntary contribution.

Voluntary Contribution - SSS Contributions Table
Voluntary Contribution - SSS Contributions Table OFWs

Where to Pay Your Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS Contributions

For real-time posting of your contributions, pay them directly to any branch of Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS. A more convenient option is to pay through one of their accredited bills payment centers or collecting agents. Posting of payments made through these channels may take up to three days.

Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS contribution payments are accepted at all Bayad Center outlets, SM bills payment counters, and Robinsons Business Centers. 

OFWs can pay over-the-counter at I-Remit and Ventaja International branches abroad. Both accept payments for Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS contributions. Here are the other options for paying your government contributions.

Pag-IBIG Voluntary Contribution Payment Facilities 

Freelancers and OFWs may remit Pag-IBIG contributions using their Mastercard or Visa credit cards. Just go to the Pag-IBIG Online Payment Facility to make a credit card payment.

OFWs may remit their contributions abroad through AUB and PNB branches in their country of employment.

  • SM Business Service Centers
  • SM Hypermarket
  • Savemore
  • Bayad Center and its authorized partners
  • Metrobank
  • ECPay thru 7-Eleven and merchant stores
  • M Lhuillier
  • CashPinas Moneygment App (Credit to Account, DragonPay, ECPay, PayPal and 7-Eleven stores)

Read more: Simple Steps to Applying for a Pag-IBIG Loyalty Card

PhilHealth Voluntary Contribution Payment Facilities

You can pay your contributions in any of the PhilHealth-accredited collecting agents[6] in the Philippines or abroad.

Alternatively, OFWs may pay contributions at the PhilHealth counter at the One-Stop Service Center for OFWs (OSSCO) on the ground floor of the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) office in Ortigas Ave. cor. EDSA, Mandaluyong City.

SSS Voluntary Contribution Payment Facilities

You can pay your SSS contributions over the counter through these partner banks. OFWs can also assign a family member or any representative to pay their SSS contribution on their behalf at any accredited payment centers in the Philippines.

  • Asia United Bank
  • Bank of Commerce
  • Bank One Savings Bank
  • First Isabela Cooperative Bank
  • Partner Rural Bank
  • Philippine Business Bank
  • PNB Savings Bank
  • Rural Bank of Lanuza
  • Union Bank of the Philippines
  • United Coconut Planters Bank
  • Wealth Bank

Voluntary members can also choose to pay their SSS contributions through these online payment options.

  • Bayad Center
  • GCash
  • Coins.ph
  • Security Bank
  • UnionBank

OFWs can pay their contributions through these accredited agents abroad.

  • Asia United Bank
  • Bank of Commerce
  • Philippine National Bank
  • iRemit, Inc.
  • Pinoy Express Hatid Padala Services, Inc.
  • Sky Freight Forwarders, Inc.
  • Ventaja International Corporation
  • LMI Express Delivery, Inc.

To ensure timely payments of your SSS contributions, you may enroll in the auto-debit arrangement system of any SSS partner bank:

  • BPI
  • Country Builders Bank
  • First Consolidated Bank
  • Metrobank
  • PNB
  • PSBank

Read more: 4 Quick Steps to Check Your SSS Contribution Online

Different Ways to Pay Your Voluntary Contributions Online

how to pay voluntary contribution online

To avoid the long queues and hours of wait time at PhilHealth, Pag-IBIG, and SSS offices, you can register for an account online so you can start paying your contributions with just a few clicks.

How to Pay PhilHealth Online 2021

Good news! PhilHealth voluntary members can now pay their contributions on the PhilHealth website. Follow these steps to do a PhilHealth payment online:

  • Go to the PhilHealth website and click 'Online Services'
  • Under 'Member Portal', click 'Register/Login'. You need a PhilHealth Online account to access the payment service. Click 'Create Account' to register or proceed to logging in if you already have an account.
  • Click 'Payment Management" and choose 'Generate SPA'. Input the period to be paid for. The Member Portal will automatically compute the amount to be paid.
  • Select 'Generate Statement of Premium Account (SPA)'.
  • Choose MYEG Philippines as the Accredited Collecting Agent. Follow the instructions and click 'Proceed.'
  • You may now pay for your PhilHealth contribution through GCash or debit/credit card.
  • You will receive a confirmation message upon completing the transaction. To view your official receipt or your Electronic Acknowledgment Receipt (ePAR), click 'View SPA History' under the 'Payment Management' module.

How much is the service fee when I pay PhilHealth in GCash or debit/credit card?

There is a 2.5% service charge for GCash and 3% service charge for debit/credit card. This is on top of the PHP 25 convenience fee.

My PhilHealth payment online was unsuccessful. What should I do?

You may coordinate with the respective payment platform's customer service representative to check the status of your transaction.

Can I pay PhilHealth in 7/11?

As of writing, you cannot pay for your PhilHealth contributions via 7/11.

How to Pay Pag-IBIG Online 2021

To make online payments for Pag-IBIG, you need to create and log in to your Virtual Pag-IBIG account.

Click the Pay Online button and select from the available options that you can pay:

  • Regular Savings (mandatory contributions)
  • MP2 Savings (voluntary contributions)
  • Housing Loan
  • Multi-Purpose Loan
  • Calamity Loan

Under Membership Category, choose Local or Overseas from the drop down menu. Key in your Pag-IBIG MID number and your name.

Input the membership savings amount and the period covered duration. You will also be asked to key in your MP2 Savings Account number if you’re going to pay for MP2 contributions.

For payment options, you can pay with your PayMaya e-wallet or your Visa, Mastercard, or JCB credit card.

Tick the box if you want to receive your payment confirmation via SMS or email, enter the verification code, and tick the terms and conditions box to proceed.

How to Pay SSS Online 2021

Whether paying online or over the counter, you will need the PRN (Payment Reference Number) generated on My.SSS. It's a unique number to ensure that your payment will be posted real time.

Log in to the SSS portal and click Payment Reference Number. Select 'Generate PRN' and then choose Voluntary under Membership Type.

Set the applicable period and contribution amount. You can refer to this video guide on how to generate your SSS PRN.

Once you have your PRN, you can now log in to your preferred online channel to make your SSS payment.

BancNet Online

If you have an ATM card issued by these accredited BancNet banks, you can register and log in to your BancNet Online account and pay for your voluntary SSS contributions:

  • Asia United Bank
  • BPI Direct BanKo
  • CTBC Bank
  • Citystate Savings Bank
  • DBP
  • Enterprise Bank
  • Entrepreneur Bank
  • Equicom Savings Bank
  • Luzon Development Bank
  • Malayan Bank
  • Overseas Filipino Bank
  • PBCom
  • Philippine Business Bank
  • Philippine Veterans Bank
  • Philtrust Bank
  • Sterling Bank of Asia
  • Sun Savings Bank
  • Wealth Bank

Click on Payments. Choose SSS under Biller/Institution. Under Account/Subscriber Number, key in your SSS number and the month and year you're paying for (for example, December 2020, so it will be keyed in xxxxxxxxxx122020).

Next, input your ATM card number, member number, account type, and the amount to be paid. After which, you will type in your PIN on the onscreen keypad.

Click Submit and then review that all details are correct. To complete the transaction, click OK.

UnionBank Online

Log in to UnionBank online on your computer or on the mobile app. Click on Pay Bills, Select Biller, and look for SSS under the list of billers.

Enter the PRN and the amount due. Review the payment details before clicking Pay.

Security Bank Online

Log in to the mobile app or online website and select Bills. Look for SSS Contributions under Billers. Under Account, type in the PRN, and then type in the amount. Click on Confirm Payment.


Open your Coins.ph app and tap Pay Bills. Scroll down and look for SSS under the list of billers.

Type the amount and fill in the details required. Choose whether to use your PHP or BTC Wallet, and then slide to pay.


Log in to your GCash app and tap Pay Bills > Government > SSS PRN.

Select PRN as Account Type, and then key in the PRN and amount. You can also type in your email address to receive the payment confirmation.

Click Next and review the details. Tap the Confirm button to proceed.

Read more: Weighing the Financial Pros and Cons of Freelancing

When to Pay Your Voluntary Contribution

Pay your voluntary contribution to Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS on or before the due dates so that you can easily avail of the benefits and loans from these agencies anytime.

Pag-IBIG Voluntary Contribution Payment Deadlines

You may remit your Pag-IBIG contributions every month or every quarter. The deadline for monthly payments is on the 10th day of the following month. For example, if you're paying for July, your due date is August 10.

As for quarterly payments, remit on or before the 10th day of the first month of the next quarter. For example, if you're paying for the third quarter of the year (July to September), your due date is October 10.

PhilHealth Voluntary Contribution Payment Deadlines

Freelancers may remit their PhilHealth voluntary contribution monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually. Here are the due dates for each payment schedule:

  • Monthly: Last working day of the applicable month (If you're paying for July, your deadline is January 31.)
  • Quarterly: Last working day of the applicable quarter (If you're paying for July to September, your deadline is September 30.)
  • Semi-annually: Last working day of the first quarter of the applicable semester (If you're paying for July to December, your deadline is September 30.)
  • Annually: Last working day of the first quarter of the year (If you're paying for January to December 2019, your deadline is March 31, 2019.)

Land-based OFWs must pay their yearly PhilHealth contributions as soon as their coverage or validity period expires.

SSS Voluntary Contribution Payment Deadlines

For Self-Employed Members:

Voluntary members of SSS may remit contributions every month or quarter. The due dates are based on the last digit of their SSS number.

  • 1 or 2: 10th day of the month following the applicable month or quarter
  • 3 or 4: 15th day of the month following the applicable month or quarter
  • 5 or 6: 20th day of the month following the applicable month or quarter
  • 7 or 8: 25th day of the month following the applicable month or quarter
  • 9 or 0: Last day of the month following the applicable month or quarter

For example, if your SSS number ends in 1, your July payment is due on August 10. If you're paying for the third quarter of the year (July to September), your deadline is October 10.

For OFW Members:

OFWs can pay their SSS contributions for a given year any time within that year. If you're paying for October to December, your due date is on January 31 of the following year.

Read more: 8 Steps to Prepare Financially for the Freelancer Life

Final Thoughts

As long as you don't miss your contribution payments, you can rest easy knowing that you're qualified for a benefit or loan from the government whenever you need it. Just be sure that all your Pag-IBIG, PhilHealth, and SSS contributions are well accounted for.


Venus leads the blog content strategy and optimization at Moneymax as the Head of Editorial Content. She has 15+ years of experience in content marketing, corporate communications, and public relations. Venus graduated cum laude with a Journalism degree from the University of the Philippines Diliman. Before joining Moneymax, Venus had written informative guides and articles, specializing in personal finance and digital marketing. She also invests in stocks, mutual funds, VUL, and Pag-IBIG MP2. A hardcore Hallyu Tita, she enjoys bingeing K-dramas on Netflix while bonding with her rescued cats. Follow Venus on LinkedIn.


Use a personal loan to consolidate your outstanding debt at a lower interest rate!

Get the latest articles, promos, and deals straight to your inbox. Make us your weekly habit!