Affordable Gym Memberships: Where to Find Them in Metro Manila
Published: January 8, 2019 | Updated: September 23, 2020 | Posted by: Venus Zoleta | Personal Finance
The holiday celebrations are over, with leftovers being emptied from the fridge. For you, it’s time to “clean up” from all that binge eating for the past two weeks!
The Pinoy’s perennial New Year’s resolutions have something to do with losing all the pounds gained during the holiday season. A nationwide survey of 1,000 Filipinos aged 25 to 55 found the top three resolutions for 2019: eating healthier (53%), losing weight (47%), and exercising (44%).
Planning to lose weight? Signing up for a gym membership would probably be your first order of business for the new year. But the expensive membership fees of the most popular gym chains in the Philippines are downright discouraging for Pinoys with extra pounds but no extra money.
Good thing, some good fitness centers offer affordable membership fees. Achieve your #BalikAlindog goal without hurting your pocket! Here are seven gyms in Metro Manila that charge around PHP 2,000 or less per month.
Table of Contents
- Maic’s Gym
- Tara Gym Bodybuilding and Aerobics Center
- Pound for Pound Fitness
- F.I.S.T Gym
- Cris Gym
- Empire Boxing
- Gym Rat
- Final Thoughts
- Location: Pikador cor. Ditchoy St., Midtown Subd. Phase I San Roque, Marikina
- Operating hours: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: 6 am to 12 am | Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday: 6 am to 10 pm | Sunday: 9 am to 5 pm
- Contact information: (0916) 543-6902 / 647-8914 / 682-5238
Maic’s Gym Membership Fee and Inclusion
Unlike most gyms in Metro Manila, Maic’s Gym doesn’t charge a membership fee. Instead, it charges fees per session or month for gym use. The cheapest option is the three-month package that costs PHP 1,800 or only PHP 600 per month.
- One-month rate: PHP 800
- Two-month rate: PHP 1,300
- Three-month rate: PHP 1,800
- Per-session rate: PHP 100
Maic’s Gym members get more than their money’s worth. Aside from the services of a personal trainer, members also have access to various gym equipment and facilities such as a boxing ring, cycling studio, climbing wall, and indoor tracks.
This affordable gym in Marikina also offers classes for boxing, mixed martial arts (MMA), Muay Thai, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, yoga, aerobics, and Zumba. Visit the gym’s Facebook page to view the detailed rates for these classes.
Tara Gym Bodybuilding and Aerobics Center
- Location: 2F, Metrolane Shopping Arcade, P. Tuazon Blvd. cor. 20th Ave., Project 4, Cubao, Quezon City
- Operating hours: 7 am to 10 pm daily
- Contact information: (0975) 701-6913 / (0917) 368-7634
Tara Gym Membership Fee and Inclusion
This affordable fitness center in Quezon City has no gym membership fee and monthly fee. Tara Gym charges only PHP 75 per use, making it ideal for budget-conscious people who live in Cubao. If you work out there, say three to five times a week, you’ll be spending just PHP 900 to PHP 1,500 per month.
The cheap rate doesn’t mean it lacks in quality. Aside from having complete gym equipment, Tara Gym also offers facilities for shower and badminton, as well as Zumba and fitness sessions.
Pound for Pound Fitness
- Locations: Various branches in the Philippines, including Makati, Greenhills, Taft, Las Piñas, BGC, Quezon Ave., Alabang, Commonwealth Ave., Marikina, Shaw Blvd., Pasig, and more
- Operating hours: Monday to Saturday: 7 am to 10 pm | Sunday: 10 am to 5 pm
- Contact information: (0915) 408-0808 / email@example.com
Pound for Pound Fitness Membership Fee and Inclusion
Pound for Pound Fitness offers a broad range of programs that cater to different needs: weight training, strength and conditioning, cross-training, boxing, Muay Thai, athletic training, and circuit training.
The gym membership fee is only PHP 500 plus payment for any of these packages that include unlimited gym access and trainer:
- One month: PHP 1,000
- Three months: PHP 2,500
- Six months: PHP 4,500
- One year: PHP 8,500
- Location: Suite 301, Gil-Preciosa Bldg. 2, 75 Timog Ave., Quezon City
- Operating hours: Monday to Saturday: 7 am to 9 pm | Sunday: 7 am to 5 pm
- Contact information: (0917) 832-6485 / 907-2609 / firstname.lastname@example.org
F.I.S.T. Gym Membership Fee and Inclusion
F.I.S.T. (Fitness and Self-Defense Techniques) gym specializes in martial arts. It’s a great place to train for MMA, boxing, Muay Thai, arnis/kali, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and wrestling.
The F.I.S.T. Gym membership fee is only PHP 700 per year. This applies to any class you enroll in. The per-session rate for members ranges from PHP 200 to PHP 350, depending on the class you choose. If you go for the monthly package, it can cost you from PHP 800 to PHP 2,500.
You can save further by availing of its gym membership promo. F.I.S.T. Gym’s Weekend Warrior Promo offers reduced rates (PHP 100 per boxing session and PHP 150 per Muay Thai session) every Friday and Sunday.
- Location: 3F JHL Center, 519 A.H. Lacson Ave., Brgy. 434, Sampaloc, Manila
- Operating hours: Monday to Saturday: 8 am to 10 pm | Sunday: 1 pm to 10 pm
- Contact details: (0995) 682-4836 / (0916) 542-1791 / 745-9596
Cris Gym Membership Fee and Inclusion
Cris Gym prides itself as the University Belt’s largest gym, and its proximity to several universities in Manila may be the reason it offers budget-friendly rates for college students.
This affordable gym in Manila offers a membership promo from time to time. The current promo costs PHP 988 for new members or PHP 888 for existing members and includes one-year gym membership, unlimited gym use for one month, and initial training.
The regular monthly rate for gym access is PHP 999 (with a PHP 100 discount for students).
- Location: Unit M8, 2F The Gallery, Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati
- Operating hours: Monday to Saturday: Open 24 hours | Sunday: 7 am to 6 pm
- Contact information: (0999) 994-3267
Empire Boxing Membership Fee and Inclusion
If you’re looking for an affordable gym to practice boxing or Muay Thai, Empire Boxing is the place to be. The regular annual gym membership fee is at PHP 1,500, which includes three free boxing sessions or two free Muay Thai sessions.
When you’ve used up the freebies, you’ll pay PHP 150 for each boxing session or PHP 200 for each Muay Thai session.
Empire Boxing offers a gym membership promo (valid until January 10, 2019) that offers a lower annual rate of PHP 1,200 with the same number of free sessions as the regular rate.
a. Gym Rat Tayuman: 1259 Tayuman St., Manila
b. Gym Rat Extreme: 2F Tutuban Mall, C.M. Recto Ave., Tondo, Manila
- Operating hours: Monday to Friday: 7 am to 10 pm | Saturday: 7 am – 8 pm | Sunday: 9 am to 5 pm
- Contact information: (0998) 536-5653 / 742-1933
Gym Rat Membership Fees and Inclusion
For its rates, Gym Rat provides value for money with its complete equipment: tires, free weights, punching bag, heavy ropes, and machines.
Gym membership fees vary per location. The Tayuman branch charges an annual membership fee of PHP 1,500 plus the following daily and monthly rates:
- Workout (daily): PHP 50
- Cardio (daily): PHP 50
- Workout with cardio (daily): PHP 80
- Three-month workout with cardio: PHP 2,400
- Six-month workout with cardio: PHP 4,800
- Nine-month workout with cardio: PHP 7,200
- One-year workout with cardio: PHP 9,600
The annual membership in Gym Rat Extreme (Tutuban Mall) costs PHP 2,000. However, the gym membership fee is waived if you avail of any of these packages that include free unlimited access to gym equipment and functional training:
- Three-month gym access: PHP 6,000
- Six-month gym access: PHP 9,999
- One-year gym access: PHP 17,000
The fitness centers listed above are among the most affordable in Metro Manila. It doesn’t necessarily mean these gyms are also the best. Some of them may not be as clean, nice-smelling, or less crowded as you want in a gym.
Only you can determine which gym is the best based on your fitness needs, preference, location, availability, and budget. Do your own research—call the different gyms in your area to inquire about their gym membership rates, services or packages, operating hours, and other things you want to know about getting yourself back in shape.
(Photos from the respective Facebook pages of featured gyms)
Venus is the Head of Content at Moneymax, with 15+ years of experience in digital marketing, corporate communications, PR, and journalism. She invests in stocks, mutual funds, VUL, and Pag-IBIG MP2. Outside of work, she’s crazy about cats and Korean dramas. Follow Venus on LinkedIn.