What could be more frustrating than traffic slowing to a crawl due to road constructions? But think of it this way: the short-term pains will eventually lead to long-term gains. That's the "Build Build Build" program in action. The government is currently building new roads that will solve the traffic in the country's most congested roads.
What is the Build Build Build Program?
Poor infrastructure in the Philippines, which leads to traffic congestion, may cost the country up to PHP 6 billion daily by 2030, based on a JICA report. This is why the government is now spending more on projects such as new roads, bridges, railways, and airports, among others.
Build Build Build is the priority infrastructure program of Rodrigo Duterte's administration. The program is part of Dutertenomics, the government's economic policies to achieve the "golden age of infrastructure" in the Philippines. It seeks to reduce poverty by attracting foreign investments, making transport of people and goods more efficient, and generating jobs. To date, the infrastructure program has created 100,000 jobs, according to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Mark Villar.
Part of the infrastructure program's funding comes from the revenues generated from the TRAIN law implementation.
What New Roads Can We Expect in the Coming Years?
Here are some of the roads that will open in 2018 and beyond, meant to decongest major roads in the Philippines. This list includes new roads in Metro Manila and nearby provinces under the Build Build Build program, as well as other DPWH road projects, that motorists can look forward to in the coming years.
1. NLEX Harbor Link Segment 10
Expected Completion: October 2018
Project Cost: P 15 billion
A priority project under the Build Build Build program, the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) Harbor Link Segment 10 will connect the MacArthur Highway in Valenzuela City to the C-3 Road in Caloocan City. The six-lane, 5.58-km elevated expressway will benefit 30,000 to 50,000 motorists daily.
Construction of the NLEX Harbor Link Segment 10 up to C-3 will finish this year. Meanwhile, the four-lane, 2.60-km section from C-3 to R-10 in Navotas City will open by the last quarter of 2019.
Benefits of the NLEX Harbor Link Segment 10:
- Reduced traffic on Metro Manila roads (especially EDSA, C-5, and Balintawak Toll Plaza) through direct access to NLEX
- Shorter travel time from Valenzuela City to Caloocan City from over 1 hour to just 5 minutes
- Shorter travel time between NLEX Valenzuela and R-10 from 23 minutes to 11 minutes (via Balintawak-EDSA Monumento) and from 26 minutes to 13 minutes (via Balintawak-A. Bonifacio/C-3)
- Faster cargo movement of delivery trucks to and from the Port of Manila through direct connection between R-10 and NLEX
2. NLEX-SLEX Connector Road
Expected Completion: April 2021
Project Cost: P 23.302 billion
This Build Build Build road project will connect the C-3/5th Ave. Interchange in Caloocan City (at the end of NLEX Harbor Link Segment 10) to PUP Sta. Mesa, Manila. The four-lane, 8-km elevated expressway is built above the PNR rail tracks and expected to be used by over 35,000 vehicles daily.
Benefits of the NLEX-SLEX Connector Road:
- Shorter travel time between NLEX and SLEX from 2 hours to just 20 minutes
- Shorter travel time between Clark, Pampanga and Calamba, Laguna from 3 hours to just 1 hour and 40 minutes
- Reduced traffic congestion along EDSA, C-5, and other major Metro Manila roads by providing an alternative to these highways
3. NLEX Harbor Link Segment 8.2
Expected Completion: Mid-2021
Project Cost: P 7.45 billion
To be constructed in 2019, the 8.35-km, four-lane expressway will start from Segment 8.1 on Mindanao Ave. up to Commonwealth Ave. in Quezon City, cutting travel time from 45 minutes to just 10 minutes. This new road will complete the entire NLEX Harbor Link Project and benefit 45,000 motorists daily.
4. Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3
Expected Completion: January 2019
Project Cost: P 37.43 billion
The Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 is a six-lane, 17.54-km elevated expressway that will link the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) to NLEX from Buendia, Makati City to Balintawak, Quezon City. This new road will cut travel time from the South to the North of Metro Manila by as much as 88%.
Benefits of the Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3:
- Shorter travel time between Buendia and Balintawak from 2 hours to 15-20 minutes
- Reduced traffic volume by up to 55,000 vehicles daily along EDSA, C-5 (C.P. Garcia Ave.), Quirino Ave., Quezon Ave., Nagtahan Bridge, and Araneta Ave.
5. BGC-Ortigas Center Link
Expected Completion: March 2020
Project Cost: P 1.6 billion
For those who work and live in BGC and Ortigas, a new road linking these two major business districts will make daily commutes a lot easier. The Bonifacio Global City-Ortigas Center Link, a Build Build Build project, consists of a four-lane bridge across the Pasig River connecting Sta. Monica St. in Pasig to Lawton Ave. in Makati and a four-lane viaduct traversing Lawton Ave. to the entrance of BGC.
Benefits of the BGC-Ortigas Center Link:
- Shorter travel time between Taguig and Pasig from 1 hour to just 12 minutes
- Reduced traffic congestion by 25% along Guadalupe Bridge at EDSA and Bagong Ilog Bridge at C-5
- Better accessibility between Taguig, Pasig, Makati, and Mandaluyong
6. Southeast Metro Manila Expressway
Expected Completion: 2020
Project Cost: P 45 billion
Part of the larger C-6 Expressway project, the 34-km, six-lane Southeast Metro Manila Expressway will run from Skyway/FTI in Taguig City to Batasan Complex in Quezon City.
Benefits of the Southeast Metro Manila Expressway:
- Only 35 minutes of travel time between Bicutan and Batasan Complex
- Reduced traffic congestion along EDSA, C-5, Ortigas Ave., and Ortigas Extension
- Quick and direct access to major airport terminals
7. Cavite-Laguna Expressway
Expected Completion: July 2020
Project Cost: P 35.682 billion
The four-lane, 45.29-km Cavite-Laguna Expressway (CALA-X) will link the Manila-Cavite Expressway (CAVITEX) in Kawit, Cavite to the SLEX-Mamplasan Interchange in Biñan, Laguna. This Build Build Build project is seen to boost economic growth and investments in the Calabarzon region.
Benefits of the Cavite-Laguna Expressway:
- Shorter travel time between CAVITEX and SLEX from 1.5 hours to just 45 minutes
- Faster and safer commutes between Kawit and Bacoor in Cavite and SLEX and Laguna
- Reduced traffic congestion along Aguinaldo Highway, Governor's Drive, and Sta. Rosa-Tagaytay Road
8. Central Luzon Link Expressway
Expected Completion: January 2020
Project Cost: P 14.936 million
The Central Luzon Link Expressway (CLLEX) will link Tarlac City to Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija. The four-lane, 30-km expressway starts from the SCTEX-TPLEX connection in Balincanaway, Tarlac City to Caalibangbangan in Cabanatuan City. Some 11,200 motorists will benefit daily from this new road.
Benefits of the Central Luzon Link Expressway:
- Shorter travel time between Tarlac City and Cabanatuan City from 1 hour and 10 minutes to just 20 minutes
- Reduced traffic congestion on the Pan-Philippine Highway (Daang Maharlika) by 48%
- Help decongest Metro Manila by promoting the growth of Tarlac and Cabanatuan
- Quicker access to Cabanatuan City from Metro Manila
9. SLEX Toll Road 4
Expected Completion: August 2021
Project Cost: P 13.10 billion
This new four-lane, 56.87-km road will connect Quezon province and SLEX, running from Sto. Tomas, Batangas to Tayabas/Lucena City, Quezon.
Benefits of the SLEX Toll Road 4:
- Shorter travel time between Sto. Tomas and Lucena from 4 hours to just 1 hour
- Faster and safer travel from Metro Manila to South Luzon
- Reduced traffic congestion on Daang Maharlika
- Safety and convenience through modern facilities such as security cameras and well-lit toll plazas
- Faster transport of goods and services between Metro Manila, Batangas, Laguna, Quezon, and Bicol
- Economic growth for Quezon and nearby provinces
Related Article: Autosweep RFID Guide: Hassle-Free, Quicker Travel for Motorists
Which of these road projects will be the most helpful to you? Do you think new roads in the Philippines will lead to greater benefits in the future? Share your thoughts!
Getting the best vehicle insurance is right at your fingertips! Compare quotes from different providers in the Philippines online.